Carnation Room

Haiku Poems

>

fgrt

fgrt

Haiku Poems
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please give me suggestions how to teach Haiku (Japanese Poems) to first grade. I want to do this lesson in an effective manner where children can come up with their own Haikus. Can any one give me step by step directions which First grade can follow? I am a new student teacher and really need help!!

1956BD

Haiku
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a three line poem. The first line is five syllables. The second line is seven syllables. The third line is five syllables. The poem should create an image. They are usually about nature or feelings.

Teach students to count syllables in words first. Clapping once for each syllable is usually helpful.

Then teach adjectives and that they are describing words. Brainstorm lists of helpful adjectives to be used later in poems.

Then read several example haiku poems. Count the syllables and let students discover the pattern on their own rather than telling them.

Then write some poems together.

Finally, let them try to write one on their own. They will probably need help.

I would select a broad topic for their poems and do several read aloud picture books that make a connection to what they will be writing about. Leave these books out for them to look at again when they start writing on their own.

Maybe the ocean, rain forest, summer, mammals or something along these lines would be a good topic to write about.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

hb11

a fun book
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You received some great advice. Dogku is a wonderful book by Andrew Clements that is written in haiku. We clapped out some of the pages and it really helped them understand the 5-7-5.
hb11 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can also try giving them cut up words and have them put these together for syllables. So you could have a bunch of words about the oceean and they move them around counting the syllables. Once they do this a few times a lot will be able to start writing their own. Plus you could always color code nouns, adj, and get tricky if you want, but I like to keep things simple the first time I do them.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote