Help

ARCHIVE

Giving back to the community

>

sdiaz21

Giving back to the community
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm one of two teachers involved in Student Council and we really wanted to focus on community projects this year. I was just wondering if you guys had info. or websites that sponsored programs that would be easy enough for elementary students to do. I've heard of Soles 4 Soles (donating shoes), Cellphones for Soldiers, and was wondering if there were others. Maybe an adopt a soldier thing, or something to do with the elderly, or sick children. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

sdiaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote

clanna

local projects
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our elementary school student council collects food for a local food bank. They collect dog and cat food and other needs for the local animal shelter. Also, at Christmas, our student representatives ring a bell, like the salvation army volunteers, and collect money that is used to help sponsor childdren from our school at Christmas. Any left over money is put into a fund to help school families pay power bills, or or other immediate needs.
clanna is offline   Reply With Quote

cdorey13

K-Kids Club
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am the Vice-President of our Kiwanis club in my town. (Kiwanis is a volunteer organization that supports the children of the world, in case you haven't heard of it.) We have various student leadership programs at the high school level (Key Club) and the junior high (Builders Club) and at the elementary level (K-Kids). I run our K-Kids at my school. We do a few projects throughout the year. At our local children's hospital, they always need what are called trauma dolls. These dolls are traced onto fabric by the kids and cut out. Then my aunt stitches around the doll. It looks like a gingerbread man, basically. She leaves a small opening in the leg. The kids then stuff them. I take them home and sew up the legs. Then the kids put them into a bag with a note and two markers. The hospital gives the dolls to either kids who need something to do and the kids can use the markers to decorate clothing and a face on the doll, or sometimes the doctors use the dolls to draw to show the child what is happening with them. I hope that makes sense. It takes us about 6 weeks to get 100 dolls done, between the sewing and such but the kids absolutely LOVE this project.

We did something similar this past year because we live in a HUGE military community and had over 10,000 deployments happening at once. We made the same dolls, but much smaller and called them Deployment dolls. We donated them to the Kindergarten and 1st graders who had parents deploying and the kids decorated them to look like themselves and gave them to their deployed parent to take with them to Iraq.

Another idea, sorry! We are going to be making "Busy Bags" this year for the hosital. It will be a small Ziploc bag with a mini-coloring book, crayons, exc. in it. The hopsital passes them out to children and families waiting in the ER to help keep the kids busy and pre-occupied. Easy for the kids to fill the bags.

We have made little gifts for our local senior center, as well. I have two cousins deploying this year in October so we will be adopting them this year. We will write to them but we are also going to make cards for them to be able to write in and send to their own families. I hope that makes sense. My cousins said they would pass them around their group.

I wanted to jump on this thread for more ideas because I always find it hard to think of things our little kids can do. Thanks for the thread!
cdorey13 is offline   Reply With Quote

cdorey13

Stand Up For Kids
Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's another one I just remembered... There is a national organization called Stand Up For Kids. They assist teens who have terrible home lives. Often their parents are drug or alcohol dependent. They are always collecting items such as granola bars, fruit cups, exc. Here is a link to what they are usually looking for: http://www.standupforkids.org/sponsor/default.aspx
And here is the link to see if there is one near your community:
http://www.standupforkids.org/programs/locations.aspx

Our Kiwanis club supported the project by collecting the donated items and then our kids group at school filled backpacks with all of the donated supplies in them. I dropped them off at the location. It's difficult for kids to understand that there are homeless children in the world so this project had a big impact on them. I love the concept of kids helping kids so I try to keep all of my projects focused around that idea. Hope that helps too!

Sorry, I'm soooooooo lengthy!
cdorey13 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

singing
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our primary students are going to sing in nursing homes this Christmas instead of having a Christmas concert for parents. Parents will be welcome to come to the nursing homes to see their children sing, but we thought that it would be a nice way to give back to the community and bring some sunshine into the elderly residents' lives

sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school has a core value of serving others. We do projects throughout the year within our grade level or building. We have a day during the year that EVERYONE, kinder to 12th grade, leaves the campus and performs volunteer work. From 2nd grade up that means going to elderly peoples' homes to rake leaves, trim trees, and clean the yards up. Our principal got the names and addresses from county resources. Some other things that we've done:

Pennies for Pooches: Students collected change for a month, then they went to the store, bought dog food and took it to the local animal shelter.

Soldiers Angels (there is an organization by this name that you could use, too) We had a former student and a parent serving overseas. One was in Afghanistan, the other Iraq. We collected blankets, socks, hot chocolate, toiletries and hard candy. Then we shipped care packages over to each soldier too disperse out to soldiers who rarely get packages.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

linzeek44

Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In November, we used to do a mittens & hats drive.

In February, it was soup & socks- donated to a local shelter/pantry.

I took my class to a food bank and they had an awesome time bagging oranges and weighing other foods. (usually an age requirement)
linzeek44 is offline   Reply With Quote

sdiaz21

Thanks...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. Its so nice to know that kids are going out to the community and helping those less fortunate than them. I think it is something that will truly stick with them throughout their lives and perhaps make them feel more appreciate of what they have in their life (health, family, etc.), and possibly even make them want to become someone who helps others when they get older (nurse, doctor, social worker, etc.)

I can't wait to take these ideas back to school and try to implement some of them this upcoming school year.
sdiaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote