HELP!! Hip/Cool/ Multiaged PE games for Mornings? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Physical Education

HELP!! Hip/Cool/ Multiaged PE games for Mornings?

>

Ideabaker

HELP!! Hip/Cool/ Multiaged PE games for Mornings?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, my very small, very low-funded country school is starting up with a school wide, mixed age grouping of PE activities on a daily basis for about twenty minutes. I'm the new teacher, so while one teacher took the obstacle course (built into our school grounds), and the other one took the courts with basketball hoops and drawn-in circles for assorted games on a blacktop, I got the plain small grassy courtyard. We meet in the mornings, which means my area is slippery (on grass) with dew). Hey, I see it as a challenge to create something new each week.

Each teacher gets approximately twenty students aged 5-13. The challenge is that the older kids don't want to end up being "helpers" to the rest of the students, hence missing out on active play time. They also don't want to do the "uncool" activities the younger students often do (i.e. scarf dancing, aerobics with silly moves, hula hoop contests, etc.). I have about 2/3rds very active boys in my group, so nothing that smacks of a Richard's Simmons tape is going to fly for them. ( I might add here that during the school day I am the teacher of the older students, so I will hear the belly-aching about anything deemed 'silly' that they were required to do ).

I thought I could do a version of the old Presidential Fitness Test (does anyone know where there is a downloadable record sheet for kid's times?), then a quick five or ten minute fun movement activity. Kids could track their progress with the Fitness test each week. However I have very limited equipment, including a few balls, a couple of jump ropes, four cones, one stop watch, a few meter sticks, some paper bags, plates, cups and trays. Could probably buy some balloons too. I plan to play the "waiter game" suggested on this site where kids work in teams delivering a tray of water filled tumblers from one side of the field to the other, the winning team being the one with the most water in it (we are focusing schoolwide on measurement this term).

I am really more of a Science-minded teacher, so anything I could do where the kids learn a science skill or practice measuring, timing, or even just fun, challenging activities that kids who are five or who are 13 could do, each finding them equally interesting and fun would be terrific.

Open for any and all suggestions... I need help with suggestions (as detailed as possible as I am not naturally a sports-minded person) for hip/cool/ challenging games (ten minutes long) to play with multiple age groups on teams. Also, if anyone has a reproducible record sheet for writing down student times for completing curls/sit ups, and other Presidential Fitness tasks for a routine benchmark fitness test, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for anyone with ideas!

Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote

stephepe

Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Surely, you guys can take turns with the different areas. Do all of you have a 5-13 age group. I bet if you collaborate you could group them like 5-7, 8-10 and 11-13 sometimes.
That would be best but I have had 2nd grade to 5th grade do group activities and worked well.
stephepe is offline   Reply With Quote

Ideabaker

Mixed Aged groups for P.E.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi, actually the school wants the students to be in mixed aged groups as a community building activity... daily. The other teachers don't want them in their natural age groups (as they are for class time), they want some kids from each class involved in the physical activities. The idea is a "Harry Potter" sort of "House" system, where each day the multi aged houses get together and do some fifteen to twenty minute physical activity together. The other two teachers chose their areas and now I have mine. I figured that some quirky and cool games would be fine... found on on here where students pretend they are waiters and must deliver tumblers of water on trays without spilling (in relays).

Thought I could do an "age train" race where teams get together and must conduct some sort of race in age order (youngest to oldest or vice versa). The real challenge is keeping the larger kids from accidentally hurting the smaller ones, and keeping everyone engaged.

I have talked to our Sports Association for the area and they are supporting that different age groups have different needs (in terms of P.E.; i.e. gross motor skills in primary, more throwing/catching in middle elementary, and in the upper elementary more strategy with finer throwing and catching skills...) . Hopefully we can engage in the multi aged groups a bit less often as a result, but I still need something everyone can do.

Have thought about Yoga for kids, but is that ok to do on grass with no towels?? Thanks!
Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

One thing you
Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

could probably do with all of them that would go with your measurement theme is to get parents to donate old neckties, get some tape measures (maybe some parents have old ones) and hot glue them on the tie. Give each student a tie or give a group 3 or 4 ties (depending on what you get) and then have them measure "how many ties long" their arm, foot, from person A to person B (you get the idea)is. The older kids could add the measurements and get a total and the younger ones could just count the number of ties.

IF you have a tennis team or club any where in the area (in fact, you could probably "beg" from the US Tennis Association), get old tennis balls and cans and do lots of activities with them such as throwing the ball up with the dominant hand/non dominant hand and catching it in the can. Have the older ones do it by balancing the ball on the bottom of the can, tossing the ball up, turning the can over and catching it using dominant/non dominant hands. They can also toss (not throw) it to each other. I'm sure other ideas will come to you.

Stretch the jump ropes out on the ground and "how many steps does it take to go from one end to the other walking heel to toe, taking giant steps, on tip toe", etc.? They can walk criss cross down the rope (every time you cross the midline, it helps with reading), do it backwards, jump back and forth going the length of the rope, hop, etc.

You can also get panty hose (you used to be able to get seconds free from Sara Lee who owns L'Eggs and other brands), do away with the panty part, tie a tennis ball in the toe end, make a loop at the other end, put the loop around the wrist and they can practice throwing and they don't have to have a partner nor do they have to chase the ball.

I posted some other stuff on the busy board for someone who wanted P. E. ideas, but I don't remember what else. I think it was 8/29 when I posted it.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote