Help

Violet Room

Stone Soup

>

Ms Honey

Stone Soup
Old 10-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did an interactive read aloud using "Some Friends to Feed: The Story of Stone Soup by Pete Seeger when I subbed for a 3rd grade class. The students loved the story. The themes are community, sharing and working together. Ihad them make verbal predictions on what the story might be about. Then I stopped at strategic points in the story to pose predetermined questions and had students to turn-and-talk for about 15 seconds each time to discuss their answers. Sometimes I would allow a few partners to share what they talked about. They had a lot to say and everyone was engaged.

I have done this read aloud before when I worked as a regular teacher for another 3rd grade class and they really enjoyed the story as well. The book also has a lot of onomatopoeia and a little song that the narrator sings as he is making the stone soup. The kids took care of the onomatopoeia everytime they saw it and I even sang the little song each time we came to it. The book also comes with a CD of the song and a read aloud by the author.

It's my favorite version of Stone Soup! Very enjoyable