Help

Carnation Room

Poetry NOtebook ideas

>

brittneye

Poetry NOtebook ideas
Old 07-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am really wanting to do more poetry with my 1st graders this year! I am not sure where to begin though...What all do you do with the poems....Thanks for any advice

brittneye is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

a poem a week
Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do at least one poem a week with my 1/2 class for shared reading. We spend a few minutes each day reading it as part of our shared reading. On Friday they get a copy to put into their "Poetry Folder." It's a folder with the metal prongs in the middle. I give them about 20 minutes to do a response. They can write their own poem; draw their mental image; write a personal connection they have with the poem- a personal narrative; generate a list of facts related to the topic of the poem...I think that's it- I can't think of anything else. They come up with great responses! And then when it's time for them to write their own poems (in April) they already have a lot of exposure to all kinds of poems. Just make sure they don't all rhyme!
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

brittneye

Thank you!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your great ideas!
brittneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Fern

a ? about the folders
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I want to do just what you've described with my 1st graders next year! I looked at the metal-prong folders at Target today and I was wondering if the metal really holds up when you have to bend it back and forth every week? Is this ever an issue?
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote

dismomx5

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the folders (we call them duotangs here) for shared reading and a weekly newsletter/homework folder. I've never had an issue with the shared reading, but I have-a bit-with the homework ones.

dismomx5 is offline   Reply With Quote

sassteach

Poetry Notebook/Great Poetry Race
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do two things with poems. I teach 2nd, and give them a new poem every Monday. I have them use a spiral notebook, and glue the poem onto the left side of the paper. On the right side of the page, we write whatever activity I think is useful for the poem. We do word sorts, synonyms, word families etcetera. I use them for partner reading to increase fluency as well. I also do Daily 5 in my room and they keep their poetry notebook in their book box so they are able to read their poems during "Read to Someone" or "Read to Self".

I also use something called "The Great Poetry Race". I found the idea somewhere that I don't remember. I do this twice a month. Every other Monday, I give the kids a poem that they take home to read. I make sure it is a similar style to the ones that we are reading in class and they then read it to as many people as they can outside of school. Every time they read their poem to a different person, that person writes their name on the back of the poem paper. If they read it over the phone to a family member, their parent writes that family members name on the back of the paper (so I hope their parents are honest about it....) they then turn in their paper to me on Friday, and I count up the number of people each student read to. Then, the following Monday, whoever read the poem to the most people, I have a small trophy which stays on that particular students desk for a week. All of the kids want that trophy!!! I have found that it is a great way to increase fluency, and they develop a love for poetry as well.

The way I look at it, there is nothing wrong with a little healthy competition...most of my kids read their poems to an average of 15-20 people a week. I had a grandparent send me an email last year and tell me they appreciated it because it let them talk to their grandkids more often on the phone! I did worry about my kids whose home life might prevent them from reading to a lot of people outside of school, but that hasn't been an issue for the last two years I did this. If that does happen, I may have to change the way this works.
sassteach is offline   Reply With Quote

alvin

Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Check Jessica Winston's classroom website under monthly ideas. She has a lot of good ideas.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote