Help

Physical Education

Dodgeball

>

jorgefuriouso

Dodgeball
Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

From my experience, phys ed teachers either love dodgeball or hate it! I swear, I have met no one who is comfortably neutral on the topic.

That being said, I'm hoping that some phys ed teachers can visit http://www.squidoo.com/dodgeball and weigh in on the topic (there's a comment form at the bottom of page).

I'm also looking for other variations of dodgeball (I've listed just a few of the 30+ that I know), and would appreciate hearing what has worked for you.

(sorry about typo on title; couldn't fix after posting)

Last edited by jorgefuriouso; 03-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: typo
jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote

KarrieJ

KarrieJ

Physical Education teacher
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am neutral with dodge ball BUT I think there are so many other important fitness components we could be teaching....

physedrocks

Variations of dodegeball
Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach elementary physical education so all-out dodgeball isn't something we do at our school. However, we do have some variations. One is bowling dodgeball played at recess. We have access to a very large circle divided into 4 pie shapes. One student stands in each pie shape. The rest of the class stands outside of the circle on the designated painted shapes. We use 4-6 balls depending upon the age group. The ball must be rolled and must hit the players below the knees. Rollers cannot enter the circle to retrieve a ball. Once a student is hit by the rolling ball, they trade places with the student who rolled the ball. Surprisingly it is a very active game and students are frequently changing rolls. Our students love the game.

We also play Pin Guard. 10 bowling pins are set up on each side of the gym. The gym is divided into half with a center line separating the two teams. Two teams play against each other trying to guard the pins so they aren't knocked down by the other team. I use soft playground balls and they must be rolled. The game continues until all pins are knocked down. Not really a form of dodgeball but the students are rolling the balls back and forth. K-3 really enjoy this game.
physedrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Terri0521

Terri0521

PE teacher middle school
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

On pin guard I have the bowling pins, using playground balls also....No one may stop a rolling playground ball, I also added dogeballs, the middle school kids love it. So, if they get hit by any ball they are out...the only way back in the game is one of there teammates bowls and hits a bowling pin, I allow them to move the pins together in groups of 2 or 3 depending on the age....

jorgefuriouso

Thanks for that variation!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Always love to hear more!

jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote