Help

Bluebonnet Room

IRI (Burns & Roe) question

>

volsfan22

IRI (Burns & Roe) question
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who use this assessment, how do you go about grouping your students in guided reading groups when the IRI results only show grade level and are not more specific, like in the DRA??? I'm thinking that if I had 12 students score on the 3rd grade level, how then do I go about splitting up those 12? Thanks for any help you can give.

odie107

I look
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

at the percentage they score for rdg comprehension. For example, if I had 12 students on the 3rd grade level, but 6 of them scored between 75 and 85%, I might group them separately from the other 6 students who scored 86% or higher.

I do not have a strict cutoff, each year it changes depending on the kinds of readers I have. You will have to use whatever cutoff number makes sense for your class. Hope this helps!

lucybrown

IRI - Third grade
Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I give each student a word list to determine which level of Reading Record I will use to test them. Then I study each child's RR scores (accuracy, fluency, comprehension) and I group according to the scores. I have three levels of groups (high, medium, low) that I place students in. Looking again at their RR scores, I determine what each child needs to work on and the groups are built according to student needs. I may have two guided reading groups of medium, one group low, and one high. It changes as the students grow. Typically my low readers are all needing the same things. The other students are in more fluid groups - sometimes guided reading sometimes strategy. If I have extremely high readers (1 1/2 to 2 years above grade level) then they would be working independently from the class.