Help

Physical Education

Classroom Management Plans

>

PETeach36

Classroom Management Plans
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can we start a discussion about what Classroom management plans have worked best for you specifically for PE. I have PK-5th grade and right now if they break a gym rule they get sent to the sidelines, an area marked around the perimeter of the gym by signs. PK-2nd graders have to sit criss cross until I come and talk to them about their bad choice. 3rd-5th graders pick a task off of the sign to perform, as soon as they are done and ready to re-enter the activity they can come back in on their own. If i notice that the same student is going to the sidelines on a regular basis I will take the next step which would be a parent phone call/note home and then an office referral. This has worked well for me in the past but I am interested in adding something positive to the gym that the classes can work for to achieve a specific reward. Lets hear what works in your gym!

PETeach36 is offline   Reply With Quote

MMadness

Sounds like a good idea!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's pretty much the discipline I had when I taught K-5. I'm teaching middle school right now, so it has been a challenge. I started 5 weeks ago, so I had to jump in where the subs left off. Right now I use a free day as a reward which is Friday. They get to play agility ball (dodgeball) OR they can walk and talk with their friends. A short term goal I use is free time at the end of class if we can get through the activity I have planned. So far it's been okay, but with testing and the end of the quarter the schedule has been off to really implement the plan. What other strategies work for middle school students? Especially for those who are not motivated to participate in physical activity?
MMadness is offline   Reply With Quote

mmaxx29115

SC Teacher
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When students enter they immediately sit in their squad place and wait for instruction. Every minute I have to wait for them to settle down, they have to wait 2 minutes before they can begintheir activity.

This has worked wonders for me.
mmaxx29115 is offline   Reply With Quote

roadrunner54

ideas
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also use squads but only when I need to address the students on skill or task. Students enter the gym and there is the instant activitiy and it will vary week to week working basic ball skills, jumping rope but the focus is to get the students moving as that is what they want to do. Also allows for students changing to get out of the locker room. Then we go to fitness stations and cardio builders, then get into the days activities as they seem to be settled down and ready to learn. This has worked for me and I also like the idea of review on skills through out the year.
roadrunner54 is offline   Reply With Quote