Help

Sunflower Room

Just got Comprehension From the Ground Up

>

afmom2boys

Just got Comprehension From the Ground Up
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

by Sharon Taberski! She is GREAT. Between her Debbie and Lucy- they have all changed my teaching life!

Anyone reading this one?

Barb/Ohio

Sharon Taberski
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I attended a three day workshop given by Sharon Taberski this past June. She was great. I debated about buying her book but have not purchased it as of yet.

Please share what you have changed about your teaching!!!

friscolucky

Love it!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I bought it last year and am picking it up again this year. I would love to see Collins, Miller and Taberski get together and write a book or do a big conference together!

afmom2boys

That would be soooo cool!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would soooo be there!

afmom2boys

Well....
Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I changed everything from being a worksheet queen and I must cover EVERYTHING to a teacher who really thinks about what she is teaching. My kids used to use a basal- one lesson for all. Now I am all about meeting all needs in clever ways just like Debbie and Sharon and Lucy! I could write pages and pages, but don't have that time... to busy rethinking and reflecting!

ACRteach

just finished
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just finished Comprehension From the Ground Up. I HAD to buy it because I loved her first book so so much. But after this one, I feel like my head is reeling! There is sooo much information and I'm still trying to process it all.

My biggest question-
She says to meet with every Guided Reading group 3-4 times a week, but then she says that she meets with only 2 small groups a day OR has 4-5 conferences. In order to meet with each of my 5 groups 3-4 times a week, I need to meet with 4 groups a day. Does she have a separate block of time (centers?) where she is also pulling small groups? Did I miss this?

She talks frequently of shared reading, read aloud with accountable talk, shared writing, strategy work, reading clubs (a la Kathy Collins), etc, but it all seems very overwhelming to me, and not so "simplified" as promised in the title. I would really like to see a weekly schedule to see how often she is using these components.

I am noticing a lot of rifts between her way of doing mini lessons and Lucy Calkins/Kathy Collins' "way." Now I'm just confused. She says you can't just send the kids off and say, "Today and everyday you can use this strategy too" but instead they need explicit time to practice this. Lucy says not to revolve entire units around one strategy (eg Visualizing) but Sharon says TO do this! Arggh!

Sharon mentions using Read Alouds to model the strategies (then refer back to them during mini lessons) but then also praises the "Repeated Interactive Read Aloud" model (google it. By Lea M. McGee and Judith Schickedanz) which is totally different, and doesn't focus on any particular strategy but rather the spectrum of thinking/vocabulary skills.

I am very confused. I am a young teacher and still trying to decide what I believe is best. I know I ultimately need to do what works for me, but I am always scared that I am not doing something that could help my kids. I feel like this book has knocked me back to the starting gate and I'm not sure what to think anymore!