Help

Sunflower Room

3 day fluency Unit! HELP!!

>

jastorff7

3 day fluency Unit! HELP!!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For my principal I have to teach a 3 day unit of fluency with assessment pieces. I am in need of desperate help with coming up with three days of fluency teaching with assessments to follow. I do use poetry, buddy reading, big books and so forth but any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much and have a great rest of the school year

kamehameha

fluency
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm going to a Reader's Theatre workshop tomorrow and will post anything that can add to this.

This is to help with high-frequency words in fluency: Go to: http://www.scr.sd83.bc.ca/~rmoldowa/SuperSpeed.pdf

daisyday

fluency thoughts
Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just went to a fluency conference with Tim Rasinsky--he really promotes poetry and singing! You can google him. One thing we do if you want to assess growth is have the students read a poem, time for a minute then set the poem to a familiar melody like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Have the students sing the poem 2x a day for the three days--I usually run a fluency poem for a week--then assess again stop timing after a minute and monitor the growth--but also monitor the inflection/expression in the child's voice. That is a huge part of fluency--it's not just continuous read at a good pace. You can do just your target students for the observation. Hope that helps...