Help

Violet Room

Favorite Picture Book & Activity -2nd Grade

>

HooCrew

Favorite Picture Book & Activity -2nd Grade
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is your favorite picture book and activity to use with your second grade class? I have a lot of great chapter books and activity suggestions, but I was wondering about picture books.
Here are two books I already use. I would love to get some new ideas.

At the beginning of the year I use "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds. After using the book each student makes a dot with an illustration showing how they are unique.

Where the Wild Things Are is another book I use. We read it and then do a readers theatre with the story. The kids also make their own wild thing mask and then I have a webiset that they use to create their own wild thing print out. After they make their own wild thing they have to write a description of it.

runteacher

Picture Book
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read "The Great Tulip Trade" by Beth Wagner Brust. It's a historical fiction book about the tulip trading that went on in Holland in the 1600s. I love this book because it's a great lead into our economic standards we have to teach in 2nd grade. I read this book in the fall and then ask the students to each bring in a tulip bulb. We plant the bulbs outside our classroom window and wait until they grow in the spring. We also plant several experiments like: upside down tulip bulb, old tulip bulb, tulip bulb cut in half, etc. to see which ones will grow. The Journey North website has an entire journal that I print off and have kids record our observations and learnings throughout the entire year. This also becomes a mapping activity on the Journey North website because as you plant, emerge, and bloom, your school is marked on the map for everyone to see. This has been an awesome project that all started from a simple little picture book. If you try it, I'm sure you'll be impressed by all that you can teach from this book!

1956BD

Picture Book
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach third grade, but second could do this just as well. The book is titled Everybody Needs a Rock. Ask students to listen carefully to the rules as you read the book to them.

Then after you read the story take students outside to hunt for a rock. I usually give mine about ten minutes to find one.

Then return to the classroom and have the students write about their rock. I have them describe it and then tell why they chose this rock.

Then we share our writings and rocks.

Then I have them write their initials on their rock with a permanent marker. I collect them all and arrange them in a big see through bowl. I discuss with the class that we are all unique, but make a great collection as a class. We are much like the bowl of rocks. Each rock is unique, but they look pretty all grouped together.

At the end of the year, everyone gets their own rock back and we reread the story.

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You've probably seen this, but I love "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick" by Chris Van Allsburg. If you haven't, it's a book that contains different pictures with captions or first lines to missing stories...great for creative writing exercises!

sag

Swimmy
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Swimmy by Leo Lionni
Vocabulary: school (school of fish)
Prior: Discuss what it means to have a problem and to solve it. Explain that the book we are reading today is about how a fish helped his friends solve a problem
Read the Story: After the story, ask the class, " What did Swimmy do to help the fish solve their problem?" "Why do you think Swimmy offered to be the eye of the fish?"
AFTER:
Let the children take turns being Swimmy and directing their classmates to stand together to form various shapes: a square, circle, an arrow, a letter, or a number.

Ask the class: What would you do if you....
twisted your ankle in gym class?
don't like the lunch in your lunch box?
forgot t bring your library books back to school?
left your backpack on the bus?
don't now how to spel a word?
think a math problem seems to hard for you to do?

Make a story strip and have students fill in.
What was the problem?
What did you ( or Swimmy) do to solve the problem?
What happened next?

OR
Lionni, Inch by Inch
Vocabulary word: notable (recognize because of)
Prior: Tell the students that there will be many birds in the story we are reading, and they each have a notable feature. Ask them to pay close attention to the different birds so that they can tell what the notable characteristic is.
Read the story. Ask students what was notable about each bird. Also, ask them to think of other animals that have something notable: elephant, giraffes, camels, cheetahs, monkeys, snakes, etc.
Have a ruler for each student (or have them bring them from class) Create a "Hunt and Measure" worksheet. (Write different lengths on the page; 1 inch, 2 inches, 3 inches, 4 inches, 5 inches, 6 inches, etc. Working together in small groups, students will measure objects in the room until they find something to match each length. They will write the name of the item beside the length.