District is talking "fidelity" to our core: Basal! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Sunflower Room

District is talking "fidelity" to our core: Basal!

>

luv2travel

District is talking "fidelity" to our core: Basal!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like our district is taking a step backward. The upper administration is in the process of having the teachers map and correlate our basal series with CCS. Several of us have not used the basal for many years. We have been using RW exclusively with great results. The district is saying that we now have to teach the basal with fidelity (as it was intended to be taught). I am on a district committee for LA that will be meeting next week. What research or suggestions do you have that I can take to my meeting? I can't imagine having to go back to teaching the basal and I need to be able to talk about research of basal use vs RW. I am very passionate about this and am afraid I will speak from my heart instead of my brain! Thanks in advance.

friscolucky

I am with you!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am looking forward to the answers you get. I have been hearing the same thing and have been rethinking how and what I teach in first grade reading. I do quite a bit of outside reading (Miller, Collins, Taberski) and am terrified of having to teach the basal which when I looked at all their little skills would take over 2 hours and students would never get to pick a book they want to read! I have had great success in teaching reading and feel students leave my class loving to read. I am very nervous about having common core make me go back to the basal. I wander if the people that wrote common core were in with the basal people or were they thinking schools would see the reader's workshop as the way to go?

afmom2boys

alignment
Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Make sure you can present how your rw units aligns to the new Common Core. There is so much research out there on how children's choice is better than basals. Do a good search. You can present that the basal is a "one for all." And truthfully that is never the case in the classroom. Do you have any data that you can show on the results of using RW?

Good luck! I know how you feel as I am the only one left at my school in K-2 using RW. Everyone else is going to centers stuffed in boxes. YIKES!

luv2travel

Another meeting Thursda
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had another meeting today and I told the trainer that all the research I have seen says no program can teach students to read and that a basal should be used as a supplement or guide to the reading program. She told me "you can make research show anything you want". I really wanted to say, "then please show me the research to support using the basal with fidelity" but I didn't. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your support!

ILuvRdg

Basals Meet Common Core??
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even if I believed that you could teach the Common Core using a basal (which I most definitely do not), here is another thought. If your basal is more than 2 years old, there is no way that it can meet the new requirements of the Common Core. Most, if not all of the publishers, revamped their basal programs in order to be able to say that they correlate with the Common Core Standards, and even then it takes all of the "bells and whistles" to meet the requirements, especially in the lower grades with more explicitly stated phonemic awareness. Then there is the whole issue about text complexity.