Help

Physical Education

Motivational Strategies

>

meis

Motivational Strategies
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all I am a P.E. teacher in Las Vegas and a graduate student in Sports Ed. Leadership at UNLV. In my readings in the area of P.E. I came across an article in Physical and Health Education Journal written by C. Ng, G. Gannon, & J. Halas. In this article the authors list the following strategies to get kids motivated for P.E.:
Focus more on physical activity rather than intensity.
Make physical activity fun.
Teach students the purpose and relevance of fitness concepts.
Be a good role model for your students.
These are the four strategies offered in the article, what are your thoughts on these? Which of these strategies do feel is the most important? Do you implement any other strategies?

meis is offline   Reply With Quote

PERavens

Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Meis,
With looking at those four I honestly don't know if you could say one is more important then the other. I think you would have to weigh in certian factors. For example in regards to making physical activity fun you have to make sure that your activities are obviously fun but fun in the eye's of whatever level you are teaching. I am a elementary PE teacher in Maryland and making it fun is something I don't have to worry about to much, since most elementary aged student still want to come to PE. An also when you talk about being a role model isn't that usually on the top of everybody's list of why you became a teacher?

Totally jumping topics though I have to ask what is it like teaching, let along PE in Las Vegas??
PERavens is offline   Reply With Quote