Help

Art Teachers

I'm a student and need help PLEASE!

>

jhhmr5

I'm a student and need help PLEASE!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I'm currently enrolled in the Masters of Elementary program through my university and I am taking an Art integration class. I have to create two lessons on integrating art in another curricular area and I am completely lost. I can choose the grade, but to me this is very difficult. In my community the elementary schools focus on state standards and do not include art into their lessons, so this is not something i've seen during my observations or even as a substitute in many different classrooms. Any ideas? One of my lessons I have to model in a classroom and be observed by a teacher.

jhhmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote

esl

Maths / art integration
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's some I do with my 4-6 year olds.

Maths / looking at lines.
Look at some of Mondrian's work - straight lines
Miro's work - curvy lines
Look around our environment for straight and curvy lines.
Create our own work a la Mondrian by gluing strips of black paper on a white background, then painting in some of the spaces in red/ blue or yellow.

Create your own piece a la Miro by Using a black felt tip pen draw some shapes using curvy lines. paint using primary colours.

Science / art / language arts :
Read Leo Lionni's Litlte Blue and little Yellow. Using a varity of media, mix colours.
eg use food colouring to colour water in blue / yellow. Use eye droppers to drip one into the other.
Paint - paint a blue line from one side of the paper, a yellow line for the other - where they meet, mix.
Print- paint one hand with blue paint and make a print. paint the other hand with yellow apint and make a print. Then rub hands together, and print again.
Clay - in pairs, give children a small piece of yellow or blue plasticene and ask them to squeeze, press etc to soften the 'clay'. Then have them share - break their piece in half and swap a piece. roll together and see what happens. (Test this yourself first because depending on the quality of the plasticene they may not mix well)

Maths / art - 2D shapes
Look at famous paintings and find 2 d shapes. A good one is Kandinsky's Squares with concentric Circles. I give each child a square - they paint circles, then I display them together as one big piece. Mondrian is good for squares and rectangles. We look at Calder's mobiles for circles, triangles etc

If I think of any more I will repost
esl is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Seems to me this naturally leads itself into doing a work of art from another culture-brush painting for China, weaving for Mexico, etc. Another possibility would be doing a project that connects with a story that the class is reading.
vttraveler is online now   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Bearden
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am thinking about Romare Bearden here and the Harlem Renaissance. You could simply discuss the harlem renaissance or honor black history month. You can intorduce his work and style. Collage is fun and easy for any age of kids to grasp and turn it into something personal and completely unique. Have them tell a story with their collage, as Bearden did, as opposed to something completely random and messy. Have a writing assignment to describe their piece and compare it to Bearden's work or something.

Here's a clip of text I found describing his history.work:

"Romare Howard Bearden (1914-1988), working in a modernist style, expressed with paint and collage the complexities of living as a minority member of American society, yet his tone was affectionate and celebratory, replete with themes of a happy childhood and a contented daily life."

(http://www.askart.com/AskART/interes...x?id=33#Harlem)
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote