Help

Art Teachers

Help! New Teacher!!

>

smART32

Help! New Teacher!!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught in the regular classroom and in Title 1, but now I'm a new teacher to K-8 Art. I teach 10 classes at the elementary (5 per day) and then I teach 3 classes at the JH. In the course of the day, I have 4 different classrooms. I'm looking for great classroom management/organizational ideas that would help me keep everything straight. At the elem. we only have 30 min. (including set up and clean up) for each class I want to have effective classroom management so I'm not spending all my time re-giving directions and/or redirecting behaviors. I have 192 students at the elem. alone, so it's difficult to keep track of missing work. I'm looking for easy ways to do this.

Any ideas that could make teaching art easier would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by smART32; 09-16-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: I wasn't done before I posted
smART32 is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So do you not have your own class room? I'm confused..are you carrying a cart? Maybe you can assign kids special jobs that they must be accountable for. One could pass out paper every time and another the crayons and do free art or some sort of guiding question to answer about art or a creative prompt to draw something specific. as soon as they enter. That could buy you a couple minutes to get your self set up and prepared for your actual lesson. Generally, kids are motivated by awards....so you could also have some sort of positive reinforcer happening.For example, buy roll of tickets and give kids tickets for doing the right thing. Once you hand out one, silently, they start to notice and then all one by one quickly put their heads down and wait for you to go. haha. worth a try. If they get a ticket it goes in an envelope or ticket jar and at the end of week or month who evers name you pull out, they can pick a prize.
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote