Help

Art Teachers

Teaching Art for K-8 Planning

>

magnificent1

Teaching Art for K-8 Planning
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher, and looks promising that I will be teaching art in a small school for grades K-8. I am looking for tips for planning the curriculum for such a range of ages. There is no curriculum. Ideally, what I am teaching will be related in some way, although more in-depth for older kids maybe?

Also, any classroom management ideas that work well? In terms of routines in the art room. What do the kids do if a few finish the project early? Do you establish rules together etc?

Thank you!

magnificent1 is offline   Reply With Quote

artadventurer

Maybe too much info :)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Magnificent1!

I am an art teacher as well and planning my procedures and curriculum for this upcoming year in an ECE - 5 school. I remember my first year and would love to share some of my techniques with you.. take what you will! My past experience of teaching in an ECE - 12 grade school (yes!!!! 14 different grade levels) has greatly influenced how I plan my year and the importance of procedures.

I, also, get the awesome challenge of designing my own curriculum!! This year I have the luxury of having a clear and well thought out schedule... meaning I see everyone the same amount and in a logical rotation (in the past, I've seen certain grades daily and others only once a week, with no logical reasoning... it's so hard to plan a new 1st grade hour long class for every single day!)

I start with the big picture and work my way down... identifying key concepts to explore within the big idea and then lessons/artists to support those. Choosing common themes or "big ideas" to run across grade levels is huge! The big ideas are enduring themes that are common to all humans regardless of age or status. For example, we may focus on the big idea of "emotions/feelings" for a month. Depth can be adjusted according to grade level as well as the projects. I plan 3 - 5 lessons and include various artists for students to explore this concept. While the theme is the same, every grade has different art making activities to support the theme. There are a few great books and internet resources... google "art big ideas" or "art lessons enduring ideas."

As far as procedures go, sometimes I feel silly for planning so much, but this is what makes class run smoothly so that you can teach and children can learn. And kids this age love to please, esp if you make it into a game. Reading the "First Days of School" book has helped me a ton... I don't necessarily organize my procedures the same as Harry Wong, but as I read, I can realize things that I forgot to plan for. From day one, I teach the procedures.

I post a class schedule for each class including the time frame for art making, clean up, and discussion. This way no one is asking when all of the time. I also set alarms... a two minute warning until clean up (to start winding down) and a clean up alarm. I play the same motivating song during clean up. Students are assigned jobs, i.e. rather than everyone running to the sink to clean brushes, one person at each table is assigned this.

For early finishers, they must check their work against a rubric to ensure that is is quality work rather than a rush. After that, I have a station or two set up with supporting art activities (drawing, weaving, friendship bracelet braiding, etc....).

I clearly post my rules. I have tried to collaborate with students to form these but that has not worked for me personally. Rather, I state expectations all based on respect (for self, classmates, teacher, art room) and we discuss what is respectful behavior vs. disrespectful behavior. I clearly post these expectations as well as consequences and stick to them from the start. If a whole class seems to be having a certain difficulty, I will focus on that behavior. For example, I may put a sticky note on everyone's desk and say that their goal is to keep that sticky note all class by following a particular rule. For their first warning, I fold it, but then beyond that, I remove it... and the student is moved to work individually.

Sorry this may be overkill! But I wish someone would have given me something to start from when I was in your shoes. I hope this helps! You will do great! Just remember that while art should always be fun, children need structure!
artadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote

magnificent1

Rules
Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Any chance I can have a copy of your rules and consequences? When I used to sub, I'd put the word respect on the board and we'd discuss what it means. Spelling out the rules specifically and consequences is better. I like that you post the rules from the start, because I couldn't figure out how it would work coming up with rules in all my classes and then posting them?! I mean, they'd all have to be the same, etc.

I also like your theme idea and will google it. Designating jobs is great also, but do the jobs rotate then? How do you keep track?

Thank you! I appreciate your response.
magnificent1 is offline   Reply With Quote

artadventurer

Resources
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So my expectations are something like:

Respect yourself: Listen to all instruction and do your best every time.

Respect your classmates: Keep hands and body to yourself. Look at art without touching. Speak politely.

Respect your teacher: Raise your hand to speak. Listen attentively.

Respect your art room: Use materials properly. Clean up after yourself.

My consequences are 1. Warning (opportunity to change your actions) 2. Moved with your art work to focus on your behavior and work. 3. Stop art to reflect on actions (answer questions through writing or drawing a solution to change your behavior) 4. Contact your parents.

For jobs, I label each chair at a table with a different symbol and then post the jobs that correspond with each symbol on the board. (each table has one of each symbol) I rotate so everyone does different jobs each class... I usually just jot it down on my LP so I can rotate everyone through.
artadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyGirl

Excellent Advice
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Art Adventurer... excellent advice!!
I'm interviewing for a K-8 position and have been wondering the same thing. Can you please post what other themes you use during the year? And do you use the same theme for all grades, just modify the lessons per grade? Also, do you combine the same lessons for any of the grades??

Last edited by ArtsyGirl; 09-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: clarity
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

rosaclinic

Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

hi, your suggestions are really helpfull. thanks for sharing.you have explained in a very simple manner.
rosaclinic is offline   Reply With Quote

awakelate1

Good advice!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the detail and ideas. I, too, am returning to teaching art after 10 years of being a classroom teacher. So, thanks again.
awakelate1 is offline   Reply With Quote