Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Advice needed.

>

Sosillymommy

Sosillymommy

Advice needed.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a teacher for 7 years. I have a principal certification and am hoping to head into administration somewhere within the next 5 years. I have taught all 7 years on the same elementary campus (3-5). My first three years were in 3rd and 4th reading and the past 4 years I have taught SpEd reading in a small group pull-out setting.

My school is losing 16 SpEd 5th graders and only receiving 3 new 3rd graders next year, so we are losing one teacher. I have less years of experience than my partner, so I am the one to go. I have been feeling a bit "itchy" for a change this year, so I am OK with this. I was given the following choices and am having a hard time. Keep in mind that I am looking towards administration in the future.

1: Stay at my school in a 4th grade reading class with 2 team teachers. (I have taught this before)

2: Move to a primary campus (K-2) and keep the SpEd pull out but add math as well. I would also be sharing a room with 2-3 other paras who will have their own small RtI groups.

What would you do? I have never taught, nor desired to teach primary, but maybe that is the change I need? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Gogogo

If you like both positions
Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think teaching primary will make you more marketable and give you a greater understanding of the lower grade levels. I taught 5th grade and then was moved down to 2nd. I love both of the grades (though it took me a while with 2nd as it was not my choice to teach in that grade). You will learn a lot taking the 2nd position.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Moving schools would be so difficult (BTDT and it's no fun), and you'd be leaving a lot of friends. But I agree with Gogogo: Teaching K-2 in the other building would broaden your marketable skills. You would have taught K-5, added math RtI, and worked in two different schools, which would really expand your experience in so many ways. The upheaval would be trying, but I think the move would really boost your resume.
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I suggest taking K-2 so you have experience when it comes to going into admin.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote