Help

Career Decisions

What other job options do I have?

>

MnToCa

What other job options do I have?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love working with students. I love seeing them grow and learn. I love education. But it seems like no one wants to hire me. Its been 2 years since I have found a teaching job. I have a Master's as well.

My question is, what else can I do? Like I have to make a living somehow. I currently work as a para and make ends meat. Hell I even had to apply for bankruptcy due to these facts.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you start your own business? Target homeschoolers for classes and/or tutor?

Preschool.

After school classes, summer camps, weekend courses?

Apply to places that have programs for kids - museums, science centers, etc?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Yay I got a job
Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just accepted a SPED position today. Super excited!

broomrider

Congratulations
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Enjoy your summer of preparing for your first year.

First years are often fraught, don't be hesitant to come here for information, advice, and encouragement. All teachers need those at every stage of our careers.

Welcome to the profession.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Thank you
Old 06-01-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It will actually be my 3rd year, but first year teaching SPED and high school lol.

Yep. I used this site a lot 4 years ago when I was teaching Elementary ed.

Noelbastable

Noelbastable

Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Id also be interested to know what kind of fields others have moved on to. This is my fourth year looking for a job. I have zero hope. I have maxed out several credit cards surviving on an instructional assistant salary. Preschool jobs pay $12 an hour here with no hope for advancing behind that pay scale. Staying in teaching or anything related to it only seems like a path to losing my house and bankruptcy at this point. But I have no other skills or qualifications. I was a retail manager for several years, but I absolutely hated it. I went back to school for education and ran up $70k in student loans to get out of retail management so the idea of ending up back in that is humiliating and devastating.

Coopsgrammy

Options
Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You have so many transferable skills! I retired from teaching last year, but at 53, I still needed insurance. I was also not ready to stay home. I applied for several receptionist positions, data entry positions, and county office positions. I was called back and interviewed for several. I am now a receptionist at a credit union. I love my job! My stress level is way down, as is my blood pressure.

I found several websites that helped. I don't remember what they were, but I searched "Teacher transferable jobs". It gave me suggestions for different jobs, and helped me to adjust my resume. Good luck!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote
So Sad

So Sad

Unfortunate
Old 06-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was driven out of the system after working the last 25 years to serve populations in need. Unfortunately the media bashes current teachers as a way to promote turnover and has been using this tactic for over 30 years that I have experienced. They entice people who desire to be of help and when you get there it's like you never left high school. Teaching is like being in the popular group, if your not a cheerleader your chances are slim these days. Many principals are opting for the good looking people so you have to dress like your going to some executive board meeting. If you want to have credibility for your intelligence then you best have a science or math degree, and sadly people, dont take out loans for education degrees because outside of education people dont care. Get a degree in something technical, then in a state like FL you dont need a teaching degree. I know of a former FL Superintendent who is now Chancellor of NYSTATE and is promoting alternative certification there. So to risk your future on a system that can ruin your life in a year is a gamble at best. Invest in learning a skill, then if you want to teach, in some places you only have to pay $900 for alternative certification and just pay to take a state test. Don't take out student loans, this poor woman was duped, and I too have paid my loans twice over for 32 years and they still claim I owe what I did 20 years ago. Become skilled and dabble in teaching if you feel like it, it is no longer a profession. I was working for $10 and $15 an hour, but now am unemployed also. I wish you all that is good and please know that you are not alone, tbis has happened to many, it's teachings dirty little secret.