Help

Classroom Management

Need advice: defiance

>

okteach

Need advice: defiance
Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would appreciate ideas on handling a defiant student. This student doesn't want to do anything the teacher says even when asked kindly. The student sometimes refuses to even get a sheet of paper and wants to roll around on the floor. The student has a bad home life. Grandparents are raising the child and are no help. It's a 4th grade student.

okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How are the student's peer relationships? Does he(?) want to be liked, seek approval or act out to get attention? Do other students play with him at recess? I ask because sometimes alienated students will do things for peers they would never do for adults. That is, of course, if the student values peer approval.

I recall while back a 4th-grade student who crawled under his desk and wouldn't move no matter what the teacher tried. She came to me for help. Recess had just begun, and student was still under desk when I entered room. I asked her if he had any friends. She related he did seem to play with two boys from the class. I sent a student to retrieve the two boys from the playground. They came into room and I asked them to coax Name from under the desk. He finally came out. After some investigation turns out the student had been physically abused and any time an adult admonished him he went into "parry reflex" - protecting his head with arms and seeking shelter.

A spin-off of using peer group for troubled students is PAT with Omission Training (Fred Jones). Basically the target student can earn extra PAT not only for himself but the whole class too. It this context classmates do the motivation since it is to their interest if he follows directions. Generally (no guarantee) the student hustles to follow teacher directions since he can become a hero among classmates.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote