Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

ESL student

>

emgirl

ESL student
Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who came from Germany in October. Her reading and comp are good but it's her writing and sounds that she is struggling with. I pull her and my aide pulls her to work on letters and sounds but she is just not getting it. She is doing Lexia as well and is on a level where they are working on sounds. Any other suggestions on how to help her?

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Esl
Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Time....she needs time and patience. Shes only been in the country for 4 months.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

You are right!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know that. Im just feeling a ton of pressure from her parents. They dont feel like shes progressing as fast as she should. *sigh*
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 02-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can she read and write in German? I had a student move from Germany mid year a couple years ago, and she was literate in German.

With all my literate newcomers, I allow them to read and write in their own language for as long as they want. They gradually attempt writing in English as they feel comfortable with the language.

That's amazing that her reading and comprehension is already great! Most ESOL students really do pick up quickly, and for her, there probably aren't others around to interpret.

Writing is usually the last to develop... oral language, then reading, then writing. When she is reading, is she able to actually decode the words, or does she just have a very large sight word vocabulary? If she is able to decode while reading, she should have a fairly good idea of letters and letter sounds. Also, are you using sentence frames?

I haven't heard of Lexia, not sure what it is :P But I did just have another ESOL teacher share this site with me, which would be great for your firsties! She can pick the language for narration- https://www.uniteforliteracy.com/
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote