Help

Career Decisions

Returning to Teaching after a LOOOONG Break

>

sjok1819

Returning to Teaching after a LOOOONG Break
Old 03-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am new here and I would love some advice and opinions. I left teaching four years ago. There were many reasons; but the most important reason was that my oldest daughter was struggling and falling behind in school and I was always working. My last year of teaching was a tough one because we had no specific pacing guide. I had to create my own using common core standards. This was when common core was still fairly new. I had 64 students divided into 3 blocks in 5th grade. While I loved my students, I was overloaded and burnt out. I had no energy left for my own kids when I got home. I turned in my notice that year, and left teaching full time. I've subbed, taught online and tutored since then.

Fast forward to this year. My oldest will be a senior in high school. She is doing very well. My youngest will be in 8th grade and she's never needed my help with school work. lol! Recently I learned of a new school opening this August about 5 miles from my house. I applied and I have an interview this week. I have mixed emotions about this. Teaching has been my passion and my love, but the endless assessments and micro-managing, behavior issues and other negative parts of education slowly burst my bubble. Has anyone left teaching and gone back to be pleasantly surprised? Has anyone left a bad situation for a better situation and it made a huge difference in how you felt about your future as a teacher? I don't want to give up on teaching for good. I get excited thinking about being back in the classroom, but I also get worried and anxious. I'd love some insight!!!

sjok1819 is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie23

I"m curious
Old 05-03-2019, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How did your interview go? I hope you were able to discern somehow what to do. You are not alone in being nervous about returning to the classroom. You made the right choice in putting your daughter's welfare over paid employment. You would've regretted the decision if you hadn't.
cassie23 is offline   Reply With Quote