Help

Career Decisions

Letter of Resignation

>

mrteacherguy

Letter of Resignation
Old 04-13-2019, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for tips/pointers on how I should write my letter of resignation.

I just signed my contract for the 2019-2020 school year last week, so hopefully they won't give me any problems with getting out of it.

As I mentioned in a prior post, I'm being put on an improvement/assistance plan due to one observation by one member of the admin team. However, I've received an offer from a district that is much closer to where I live. Unless my district were to assign me the right academic coach as part of my plan (the one the principal said would probably be assigned was a primary classroom teacher 10 years ago - I teach 7th/8th grade), I plan to accept the offer from the other district.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No need to write anything fancy. Simply state that you're resigning from xyz position on x date. Add a sentence thanking them for the opportunity to work there if you feel like it. I'd check with HR regarding what getting out of a signed contract looks like. There could be some issues with that.

Quote:
Unless my district were to assign me the right academic coach as part of my plan (the one the principal said would probably be assigned was a primary classroom teacher 10 years ago - I teach 7th/8th grade), I plan to accept the offer from the other district.
I think you should accept it regardless, assuming you can get out of the contract. I definitely wouldn't want to stick around a place that thought I needed an improvement plan. IME, these are used as documentation to get rid of people. If you "wait and see" and then end up with a non-renewal on your record, you'd have a much more difficult time finding a position elsewhere. I'd take the other offer and run, especially since it's closer to where you live.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

getting out
Old 05-11-2019, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Make sure the offer includes everything you're expecting (salary, assignment, etc.) And then just a letter of resignation to your current employer. There's probably a July date that most districts use, so prior to that you should have no difficulty being released. Good luck! A job closer to home sounds better anyway.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Check your contract
Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There should be a clause that says if you cannot fulfill the contract you need to give a certain amount of notice or they can hold you until itís filled. Being that itís for next school year, you should be fine.

Congrats on your new position! Sounds like a great move for you!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote