Help

Substitute Teachers

45 minutes of pure...

>

Sublime

45 minutes of pure...
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've subbed a handful of times this year in a difficult elementary class where there is a 45 minute switch with the other same grade level class. The other class is so difficult and yesterday I wanted to cry as I tried to get through that short time period. They have been difficult throughout their years at this school. I couldn't even finish up the lesson with them because of their behavior so I stopped and had them sit at their desks until it was time to switch again. The anxiousness I was left with was just horrible. I left the teacher a note, but she knows the situation, of course.

I was doing pretty well with the original class. I put the tissues away because everybody kept getting up to blow their noses. I told them they couldn't use the bathroom until I'd seen some work done. I told them their work was part of a test and if they talked during a test I'd write their name down for the teacher, no warning. That worked pretty well. I was handling it and the new 1 on 1 aide in there told me they were taking advantage of me. I wanted to scream at her! I know! I know! I told her I'd been in there before and I knew the class.

What I've learned: 1) sometimes there is NOTHING I can do! 2) don't sub for the next grade up next year and 3) I'm so ready for summer.

If you're wondering why I kept going back: I've subbed for this teacher for years, she likes and trusts me, and how could I tell her, "No, but call me next year,"? She's already given me dates for next year so I must be doing okay.

AAACK!

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

I feel ya, Sublime
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In fact, I was nodding my head as I read your post. I would think weíre subbing for the same class, were it not for the fact that my district has already let out for the summer.

The particular class Iím thinking of was so awful that sometimes Iíd turn off the lights and order them to put their heads down on their desks, b/c the behavior was so bad. In no other class have I ever had to do that, and Iíve been subbing for seven years.

Youíre totally correct in saying ďsometimes there is NOTHING I can doĒ. Yep, you just try to keep from running out of the room and laying rubber down in the parking lot as you make your escape.

I already have dates for next year as well, so we both must be doing something right. Take a deep breath, try to relax, and enjoy your summer. Iíll lift a glass of an adult beverage for you this evening. Salud!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

I am so happy/relieved to read your tale
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in a class for 35 minutes and like you nothing works. I have wondered how others feel in a class like this. Thank you for posting.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Stress Classes
Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had one of those classes last week too. I've already vowed to decline jobs for that grade next year.

It may sound far-fetched, but I do think there's a pattern that class years who were born during extremely stressful times are more difficult behavior-wise.

For a while, it was the 9-11 babies, then the Katrina babies, and now the recession babies. It's almost as if they're wired differently because they picked up their earliest cues from adults under stress.

I'm sure it isn't predictive of every kid, and there are a million other factors at play. But whenever I have a grade-level that's just tougher than the others, I kind of count backward and look at what was going on.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote