National Board Certification

Choosing Area of Certification

>

Happy18

Happy18

Choosing Area of Certification
Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently trying to decide what area of certification for National Board that I should choose. Last year, I only taught 4th grade math. When I return for the 2019-2020 school year, I will be teaching 4th grade math & one block of 4th grade science. The two certification areas I am considering are Literacy (3-12) or Middle Childhood Generalist(7-12). I feel like literacy would be an easier certification area than middle childhood generalist because literacy goes across all contents, and there are certain areas I don't feel as strong in...like social studies and art. I've not met anyone who chose Middle Childhood Generalist, so maybe it isn't as hard as I think?

Also, I am thinking about applying for a grant for state funding, and I am wondering if the lesson submitted for the grant has to match my area of certification that I choose? For example, if I choose Literacy for my certification, can I submit a math lesson that I taught last year to apply for National Board state funding?

WhyHello

Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

nevermind, i'm an idiot, lol

good luck

Last edited by WhyHello; 06-19-2019 at 07:13 PM..
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Happy18

Happy18

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I meant Middle Childhood Generalist (ages 7-12)

NBCoach

Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Middle Childhood Generalist (MCGen) certificate covers grades 3-6, ages 7-12. It isn't actually Middle SCHOOL. The Early Childhood Generalist (ECGen) covers preschool - Grade 3, ages 3-8 or 9 (sorry I forget). The MCGen and the ECGen overlap (age/grade-wise) at 3d grade.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you only teach math and science, the LRLA cert would be difficult. C2 in the MCGen cert might be tricky, too.

So far as the grant goes, you'd have to talk to those folks. There isn't anything like that in my state.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teaching in a departmentalized situation complicates the Generalist work. In your case, it will serve you well for C3 where you make 2 videos using math, science, and/or social studies. But you'll need to either borrow a class for the writing in C2 OR figure out how to incorporate narrative and expository writing within your own classes. It can be done, especially through science, but you'd need to plan well and realize that for C2, you're teaching WRITING more than content. I agree with Zia that the Literacy certificate would be difficult in your teaching context.

Every grant has its own set of parameters, so you'll have to contact whoever the grant is coming from to get a response to your question.

Good Luck!
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote