Help

National Board Certification

Research findings for identifying PLN & SN

>

minnie2019

Research findings for identifying PLN & SN
Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When writing about how I identified the PLN&SN can I also refer to research findings that support/ back up my data/observations for my specific Ss' need?
I will dedicate 2-3 lines for mentioning research, the rest will be based on specific data/my observations/discussions w colleagues.

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can, sure. But the PLN/SN are based on needs you identify in yourself, colleagues, and students. I dunno that you can find research that applies to such a specific, small group.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SN would be to expand word knowledge (which is very broad, I know) w a focus on either science/math content words, or common polysemous words used across content area, or word roots&affixes or... I'll narrow it down once I get to know my Ss&their specific needs (lowest scores in either one of the EOGs for Reading/Math/Science, discussions w content-area& other ESL Ts at school). There is lots of research supporting direct vocab instruction especially for ELLs. Also, since majority of ELs speak their native lg at home&their community, there is a gap in the amount of words a lg learner knows at beginning of K. Plus, the school improvement plan from last year has specific goals for improving scores in all EOGs. Vocab is at the core of understanding academic content. While I cannot prove direct link between expanding vocab & better Reading/Math/Science scores, I will definitely be able to show growth in word acquisition once I have a laser sharp area.
I want to put together types of vocab assessments (pre-tests, FA, SA, SSA) and best instructional activities (games, online tools/apps/websites, books,etc) this summer (the general legwork) & just complete action plan once I get to know my Ss.
What do you think about SN?
P.S. this need has potential to be implemented school wide for ELLs, w collaboration & advocacy between/by ESL Ts& content area Ts, admin. However, that is smth I'll find out once school begins. I'll have more chances to advocate for a focus on vocab instruction if I have a clear idea/plan formed by Sept.

Last edited by minnie2019; 06-20-2019 at 12:47 PM..

minnie2019

Pln
Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My PLN is going to be implementing (successfully) literacy/learning centers. I wanted to do this for a while, but I was never able to grapple w the logistics.
I know literacy/learning centers are widely used in elementary classrooms. My future ELs (no matter specific Ss) have a wide range of strengths&weaknesses across the four lg domains, so if I differentiate instruction depending on their lg needs, my time w them will be better used. Each score in Reading, Speaking, Writing, Listening comes w a set of Can-Do skills each S can do at that lg proficiency level. I could show growth if Ss go from a level 1 set of skills in any domain to a level 2 or 3. Since ACCESS scores (kinda end of grade test only for ELLs) will be published late in June, I can only use my own types of As, and Ss' sample work to show growth.
Also, for C3, I'll need to show 2 different instructional settings. Usually my whole groups are small, but even so I still want to be able to have one-on-one or 2-4 Ss direct contact time.
Again, legwork on figuring out logistics, types of centers, resources, etc this summer, fine tune details once I know Ss'.
What do u think about PLN?

Last edited by minnie2019; 06-20-2019 at 12:48 PM..

Zia

Old 06-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think you're on the right track--what's your cert and what do you teach?

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach ESL, certification area EMC ENL (English new language)