Help

National Board Certification

Books on top of books

>

minnie2019

Books on top of books
Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a total of 35+ books that I have been perusing for ideas, strategies, activities, differentiated instruction. Plus, dozens of online articles. The more I research, the least prepared I feel! I have a list of 10+ things to do before school starts (all related to C4& C4 alone!!). I finished two of the easiest tasks, and it took me almost three months (with 3-4 hours daily work)!!! In this sluggish rhythm, I will be buried in research, doubt, enthusiasm, burnout, work, goals, rethinking of goals, rethinking of the rethinking
My husband says I suffer from an accute analysis paralysis
I am just venting/panicking now, during the summer, before everybody else begins the panicking in the fall!

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I want you to breathe. NBs is about showcasing your practice, not revising every aspect of it. Be authentic. I'm not criticizing staying current and making adaptations...but think more about what you already do and what you need to amp up, maybe.

Print and go through the standards, highlight what you consistently do in one color, what you sometimes do in another, and what you rarely do in a third color. Focus on the second and third colors.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read the standards at least 3x, but didn't color coded them.
I worked 5years elementary, at home 2, worked again 1year (HS), at home 1 (last year), so I feel I got "rusty" w my elementary practice.
I need to keep things in perspective
Thank you, Zia.

NBCoach

Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi minnie.

It sounds to me like you're taking some avenues not required. I think you're doing too much. Other than reading/research you might typically do to improve your own practice, lots of deep research etc. isn't the backbone of the process.

The prompts are designed to ascertain info about your practice...what you generally do within the lessons/topics/units used for each component. They are also designed to establish whether or not you use the Architecture of Accomplished Teaching (the NB version of an accomplished lesson plan) within your practice. In each component, are some questions that ask what you might do differently etc, so you can reflect on what was successful and might be improved. Almost no prompt (maybe 1 or 2 in the Exceptional Needs and/or Literacy certificate) ask about research.

Other than Zia's suggestion to highlight your NB Standards, I encourage you to READ the prompts in the Written Commentaries and on the forms. You'll use your own practice, the lessons/units you teach, and your students as the basis for your responses. There is much you can't know yet since you're out of school for the summer and aren't working with a class.

You're right - if you continue as you've been doing, you'll not only burn out, you'll burn UP from the stress. It sounds banal, but you just answer the prompts according to what is TRUE for you.

Besides reading your Standards and directions over the summer, you might consider creating a couple of surveys for C4 - one for parents, one for students that will garner knowledge of your students that you'll need for all the parts of C4. That would be a productive use of your summer time. Put most of those books away for now and use them sparingly as you progress.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I put the books away, and began making myself busy w other projects.
Thank you, NBCoach.