>

minnie2019

C4 KOS: Source & description of info
Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is what I have for 1 source.
Description of info (on the form):
Quote:
Ellevation contains scores from ACCESS, which is a yearly English language proficiency summative assessment for English Language Learners (ELLs) in grades K-12. ACCESS measures growth of academic language in the 4 domains of Listening (L), Reading (R), Speaking (S), & Writing (W). Scores range from level 1 to level 6. Students (Ss) with a composite score at levels 1&2 are beginning learners. Ss at levels 3&4 are intermediate. Ss at levels 5&6 are advanced. In addition to achievement data, Ellevation also lists demographic info such as Ssí place of birth, status, immigration history, & primary language.
Written commentary (KOS):
Quote:
My sources were Ellevation (e.g. district wide aggregate & individual data dashboard for English Language Learners - ELLs), teachers (Ts) from previous school year and (&) families. I chose these sources because they offered key information for creating a comprehensive student learning profile (SLP) centered on assessment data, studentsí (Ss) description as learners, Ssí cultural backgrounds, home environments & formative experiences. All 3 sources were invaluable. First, I used assessment data in Ellevation to check Ssí overall English language proficiency level & readiness in each language domain. Ssí composite scores helped me group Ss by proficiency level (e.g. beginners or intermediate group). Scores in each language domain revealed where my Ss struggled the most. So, I created work groups by like ability where ELLs could improve skills in the weak domain by using the strengths in other domains. Ellevation also tracks Ssí progress for meeting language goals across school years. I referred to Ssí progress toward language goals set in previous years to decide on realistic long & short-term goals for my profile group. I used demographic data from Ellevation as a base for creating some questions in the parent surveys that would elicit more in depth answers to the areas I wanted to use in Ssí learning profiles (i.e. any traumatic events during Sís journey to the US).
Once I have the specific data for students in my group, I will describe Ss' specific scores (on the form), proficiency trends, specific needs, and support I'm planning to use to meet the needs (in the WC)
What do you think? Is it clear enough?
Also, I am confused about this question on the form: "How you collected the info" Since Ellevation is a website, what can I answer to this? I used my login username to access the info????

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a bit curious about this:

Quote:
Ellevation also lists demographic info such as Ssí place of birth, status, immigration history, & primary language.
What does status mean? And immigration history? Are you in a public school?

Quote:
Also, I am confused about this question on the form: "How you collected the info" Since Ellevation is a website, what can I answer to this? I used my login username to access the info????
I would just say something like district collects or aggregates this data and makes it available to teachers or something along those lines.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 07-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are on the right track here with your responses and your writing is clear. There are a few spots that you'll likely edit out either for space or because it doesn't directly answer a prompt. I'll show you how a "reader" might coach your writing. This is all part of learning to write in the NB "style"...very concisely.

Examples might be the sentences:" All 3 sources were invaluable." and "So I created work groups..."

The "invaluable" sentence contains no direct evidence, it's actually an opinion, and the "So I..." sentence doesn't really address the questions in the prompt. None of the prompts here asks WHAT YOU DID as a result of the info you collected, so you've gone off track.

There are also some missing parts. I don't see info addressing questions about "why those sources were appropriate and the one that asks about the relative importance" of the kinds of info you collected. Be sure every part of a prompt has a response. It helps to, at least in the first draft, use the words from each question to begin a response. That way no part of left out. Later, as you revise, there will be ways to shorten the wording if you need the space. EX: These sources were appropriate because... and then something along the lines of: The source I used most was ___, followed by __, __, and __. In the end, I didn't find __ to be as useful as I'd hoped."

My examples are just that...EXAMPLES. There are many ways to phrase responses.

As to your last question, you'd just state that you talked to teachers in person, used info from surveys, accessed the __ website (you can name it but don't necessarily have to give the url etc.).

Hope this helps.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Thank you
Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have edited so many times, and I will edit it til I submit
Thank you for the input. I don't have a "reader", so you guys will be my readers until I get the hang of writing of NB style.

minnie2019

Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Status and immigration history give info on when the student was enrolled in an US school, when they were tested for entering Limited English Proficiency (LEP) program, years in US schools, years in the LEP program.
I'm happy you asked for clarification, it means I need to be more specific about that part.
Thank you for advice on my "how you collected" question.

Zia

Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Status and immigration history give info on when the student was enrolled in an US school, when they were tested for entering Limited English Proficiency (LEP) program, years in US schools, years in the LEP program.
I'm happy you asked for clarification, it means I need to be more specific about that part.
Thank you for advice on my "how you collected" question.
It makes me nervous because citizenship is irrelevant...be precise about how any of this affects your teaching.
minnie2019
Old 07-03-2019, 08:21 AM
This message has been deleted by minnie2019.

WhyHello

Old 07-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
parents not having the right to work, or working on the black market (which means no health benefits), not being able to access any free/food/useful resources (or being too afraid to ask, or not knowing the language to communicate...), not being able to rent a decent place to live
maybe talk about how your work helped students overcome those things specifically, and then show evidence of it?

and for the record, i know exactly how much citizenship status affects students, i just think it's hard to quantify. my school lost a bunch of money this year because so many parents were terrified of filling out federal forms for free/reduced lunch for the very real possibility of deportation. loss of money impacts students. again, it's just super hard to quantify when it comes to student impact.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm not saying those aren't major factors. I find it odd your district has that info at all. If mine does, I don't have access to it. That info would only come from parents willing to disclose to me.

minnie2019

Old 07-03-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The info on legal documentation is not included anywhere in Ellevation. When they refer to status is more about their proficiency level. For example, Ss can be on a monitored status after they passed the ACCESS test and they are proficient in English, but teachers still keep an eye on them/monitor to see if they continue to do well in their content classes. Ss can be served directly (push in or pull out) or on a consultative status (usually the advanced students who have very high scores, but they fail to exit the ELP status because they have a low score in one of the domains). So the term status refers to Ss' proficiency level and type of support they receive.
Immigration history refers only to the date they arrived to the US/ or more specifically entered the school system.
I am not going to ask students or parents anything about their documentation. If they confide in me (which usually they do) I am not going to discuss about it with anybody, and I don't mean to try to measure the impact or use anything related to documentation issues in NB process.
I was just responding to Zia's post (without being accusatory or anything close to it). I was simply talking from personal and professional experience.
I apologize if anybody felt offended, I had no bad intention or anything.

Last edited by minnie2019; 07-03-2019 at 06:16 PM..

WhyHello

Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

i don't think you offended anybody. at lease, i hope not.

like me, you know your students. that's about as authentic as teaching can get. again, it's just hard to quantify for something like nbct. our districts may not disclose students in our classes living in cars or back and forth between friend's houses, but we know them, right?

good luck!

WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-05-2019, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not offended in the least! It's a conversation. And, sadly, immigration is such a controversial topic right now, I wanted you to be cautious about collecting/using that information.

minnie2019

Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm relieved nobody got offended.