National Board Certification

C4 for early to middle physical education

>

PE4ME

PE4ME

C4 for early to middle physical education
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone complete C4 for early to middle physical education? I need advice on assessments as well as the student need piece.

NBCoach

Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not a PE NBCT, but maybe I can spark some thinking for you until a PE person responds.

Think of a unit you teach (let's say 1st semester). Think of the lessons involved and then think of how you assess and measure growth. Do you give any sort of pre-test, survey, or evaluation before starting so you have a baseline from which to measure learning? Along the way, do you give any formative assessments (FA) to measure learning of particular skills up to a certain point in the unit of study? If so, HOW do you use the data from the FA to help you decide how to proceed from that point forward? At the end of the unit, how do you measure learning of ALL the skills you taught?

In PE, you can consider performance based assessments and/or pencil/paper assessments depending on the material.

That is how you think about the assessment section.

The Student Need uses a group of students who share a need of some kind. You must show how you used advocacy, collaboration, and/or leadership to address the need. The group can be almost any group of students with a common need - in PE or even in a whole school setting. Sometimes a school has a School Improvement Plan that will play into this need. Is there a group of students who need something special that you need to advocate for? Adaptive PE equipment? Advocate for expanded recess time for primary grades? Finding funding for field trips? Nutrition related need for a health class? Equipment kids can check out to take home on weekends? Those kinds of things. Those are just examples...there can be MANY other possibilities. I assume you're in an elementary school given that you're doing the EMC PE certificate.

Hope this helps your thinking. Keep reading your instructions multiple times to wrap your head around the C4 requirements. Good Luck!
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
PE4ME

PE4ME

C4 pe
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, you really did jump start my thinking process!!