Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Leaving School/ Moving to other

>

LoveTeachBaby

Leaving School/ Moving to other
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I am leaving the preschool I was working at and applying for positions at other schools.

For interviews at new schools when they ask "why did you leave the other school?" I am not sure how to answer. I was thinking of saying that the other school was not the right fit but what if they want details.

does anyone have experience with this situation? if you do can you please give advice on how to answer this type of question in interview.

Thanks!!!

LoveTeachBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done a lot of interviews and have never been asked that in one. Around here, everyone has a set of questions that they ask everyone they interview. HR departments require them to be the same for each candidate so that no one can claim discrimination/unfair hiring practices. They wouldn't ask this question because it doesn't apply to everyone.

I have seen it on every application I've filled out, so you'll have to put something, but you likely won't need to fill in details. Last time I was seriously job hunting, I kind of "cheated" in that box. I wrote "still employed" because it was technically true- I hadn't left yet. I was never called out on it and I got plenty of interviews .

Otherwise, I'd start with putting a reason that would actually appeal to the new school if you can manage to do so. For example, if you can figure out from their website that they use some sort of curriculum or program you like, you can put, "seeking a position where I can use xyz program/philosophy." Or pick something else that applies to that school- "seeking a smaller school with a family environment," or "seeking a larger school with more opportunities for growth." If all else fails, unless the school you're interviewing at is very close to your old one, put "commute" or "relocating to xyz area."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveTeachBaby

Another Question
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the response.

When schools call to set up interviews they usually tell me something along the line of come in for an interview and after we talk I want you to go spend some time in the classroom with the kids.

My question is: I feel like the kids don't know me and I'm being thrown into a classroom. So how do I start off? do I just dive right in and start interacting and hanging out with the kids in the classroom? or observe and see what the teacher in that class wants me to do?

Haley23

Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never been asked to do that, but I would assume they want you to jump right in and start interacting with kids. They must be wanting to see how you are with the students. Having them watch you observe the teacher doesn't make any sense, and the teacher probably wouldn't know to give you a task.

It does remind me a little of all of my field experiences/student teaching in college. We did tons of placements leading up to full time student teaching. The university wanted us to observe for the first couple of days and gave us assignments that revolved around that (we were supposed to be looking for/writing about certain things we saw). Pretty much every teacher I was placed with expected me to "jump right in" and was miffed that I had to observe at first. Luckily my full time ST ended up going well, but the CT did tell me that she had concerns at first because I didn't jump in the first couple of days. So I definitely wouldn't want to come off that way in a job interview!

LoveTeachBaby

Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you.

sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I have one more.

So I've been on a few interviews and there is a place that would like me to work in the summer. My question is that honestly I have more interviews and so for now I do not want to work in the summer until I pick the right school for me.

How do I respond to the school that asked me to work in the summer? I was thinking of saying something along the line of I am not able to work in the summer because I am still going to interviews and need to find the best fit for me. Is that good? or not?

What would you respond?

Haley23

Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Did you apply to the school and the offered you a summer school position instead of a school year position? Or is the position year-round? If it's a year-round position I think you just need to figure out if you want to work there or not. If you applied for the school year and they want you to do summer work, I'd simply stick with saying you're not available this summer (no need to give a reason) but you're interested for the school year and will be available August 1st or whenever.

Marcee

Not the right fit
Old 07-19-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Always a good answer. If they ask for details, you should have an answer that a) gives them enough details, and b) doesn't make you look bad. You should put everything in the most positive light possible.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I'd simply stick with saying you're not available this summer (no need to give a reason) but you're interested for the school year and will be available August 1st or whenever.
Don't need to give details. This is sufficient.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote