Retired Teachers

tired, need to get a job

>

EdfromBama

tired, need to get a job
Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
I think I need to get a job so I can get some rest. This retirement- and my wife's supervision and management- is getting me down.

We got a notice a couple of weeks ago from our hurricane insurance company that on inspection, our home had trees overhanging the roof, shrubbery grown up alongside the house, and other evil things that might affect our storm coverage. In short, they might not pay any storm claims we might have to make. By the way, I do not like most insurance companies- so prompt to take our premium payments and so slow and disagreeable when a claim is made. the best insurance we've ever dealt with is Horace Mann Company- for teachers.

Anyway, my wife was not pleased with someone telling us that our house needed "corrections" so we have been working pretty hard. We've taken down shrubs, dug and moved a large fern garden, cut down a large guava tree and a larger apple tree- both totally non-productive over the years. We cut down the last tree today, and I am glad.

But I did get a truckload of prime meat-smoking wood, and I can't wait to toss a big old pork shoulder on the Big Green Egg and do a Hawaiian style barbecue with the guava wood. Ya'll want to come?

But now, I get to rest- for fifteen minutes until "management" comes up with another project.

Good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes. Yes. I was just thinking yesterday that going to work was easier than dealing with some of these tasks in retirement. Iím guessing I just never noticed little things that should have been taken care of when I was busy teaching.

And please count me in for the smokefest.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Corrections
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sending sympathy as I'm going through a similar process of "corrections" which consist of making the house I recently bought into exactly what I think it should be.
My meals have been somewhat erratic over the last few weeks, so I'll definitely be there for your Hawaiian style barbecue! Count me in!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel your pain! We are kind of in the same boat.

The thing is, when working full-time, we felt justified in hiring people to do work for us. We were pretty busy, and had no time for all of the home-upkeep tasks. Now that we are retired, we feel obligated to do as much of it as we are qualified to handle. We'd never attempt plumbing or electrical work, but we do yard work, carpentry, interior painting, carpet cleaning, etc. After all, we've got the time, and are still able bodied. As a result, we are often really tired!
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can relate to what you are experiencing with the countless outdoor and landscaping chores! Your Hawaiian barbecue sounds delicious!
My husband probably feels as you do with me acting as manager.

CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote