Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Bathroom management

>

Candy525

Bathroom management
Old 08-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I’m a licensed teacher substitute in a ECE church program. My question regards bathroom management. The bathrooms are not located in the classroom. They are located across the building, so we have a schedule for bathroom breaks. This is my first time to deal with this type of situation. In previous programs I have worked at bathrooms were located in the classroom. So how do you keep the children entertained/busy while trying to the monitor the bathrooms and the children waiting to go? I’ll also post this on the ECE boards. Thanks in advance for reply’s.

Candy525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Visiting

Visiting

Bring a basket of books...
Old 08-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Or a set of mini whiteboards and pens - you can either let them draw or write freely, or call out a sound or word for them to write.
Or make up matching sets of cards - pictures (animals, cars, fruits, etc. In pairs children can test each other’s on the names, or play a card game such as SNAP.

Gimet

Old 08-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put different colored shapes on the wall inside the bathroom which helped spacing the students in line and provided opportunity for them to identify shapes and colors. Later I added numbers. When lined up outside the bathroom we would count , repeat rhymes, sing the alphabet song.....You could also ask questions, such as “Who is wearing stripes today? Raise your hand, etc.

We also went to the bathroom as a group during “natural” breaks—before entering classroom, before snack, before lunch, before nap.....
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote