Help

Retired Teachers

cloak room

>

cvt

cloak room
Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I didn't want to hijack c6g's post about wraps, but it made me wonder how many of you had dedicated places in your classrooms to hang up students' coats or jackets.

Inside my classroom there was no place to hang jackets or keep backpacks. We had a wooden rolling cart outside each classroom with 24 hooks and a large tray on the bottom. The hooks were for jackets and the trays for the backpacks, but since our climate is so mild year round, most kids just hung their backpacks on the hooks except for those rare days when the temperature dropped below 60º.

When I was in elementary school we had a cloakroom. It was always a mess with jackets and rain boots.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 08-05-2019, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The janitors at our school hung up hooks under the “ blackboards” for our kids to hang both. We don’t have heavy jackets or boots like some do.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Cloakroom
Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was still working, we had a separate room within my room for coats and boots. But then, my school was built in 1938...back when schools actually had better designs.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

coat room
Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just retired in May after 21 years in 2nd grade (following 22 years in sped). My last building (the 21 years) was built in 1915 and had a dedicated coat room. I was kind of a stickler about the students having coats and snowpants and backpacks hung up and boots up against the wall.
I LOVED MY CLASSROOM! There was a door in the coat room into what used to be a bathroom, but to me it was a walk in closet with shelves on one wall to the 20 foot high ceiling. There were other shelves put up in the coat room for amazing storage.
Did I mention that I loved my classroom?
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Riverside

Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I attended a Catholic elementary school from first they eighth grade in the 60's. We had a special walk through room where we put our coats and lunches. It was the cloakroom.

Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We had coat hooks outside the classroom. There was a shelf above them for lunch boxes, etc. I was a stickler for keeping that area neat and organized because it was a reflection on us as a class. Then I got a classroom in the new addition and we had lockers. I loved having lockers! Well, except when that one girl stowed several cartons of unopened milk. When I discovered them they were bulging. I told the janitor he might need a hazmat outfit to deal with them
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I remember cloak rooms
Old 08-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My sixth grade classroom had a Clark room.

The last school where I taught for 20years had hooks for coats and backpack. Very nice for daily storage.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

Cat woman
Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Well, except when that one girl stowed several cartons of unopened milk.
That would have been me if we had lockers. I absolutely hated milk and my teacher would make me drink it anyway. I would get an immediate stomach ache which she claimed was imaginary. It wasn't until much later that I learned I was lactose intolerant. I don't think anybody really knew about lactose intolerance back then.

c6g

Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The elementary school I attended had lockers, but there was a cloakroom adjacent to the kindergarten rooms. I started teaching many years later in the same district, and the older buildings were set up the same way. My last school was brand new with no cloakrooms. Instead, there were very large cubbies (with plenty of room for students to hang their wraps ) in the classrooms.

I could be wrong, but I don't think new schools are being built with cloakrooms. My former district sometimes used those spaces for speech teachers and other teachers who worked with small groups.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been 3 schools and only 1 had a cloakroom. The other had a shelf at the back of the room with hooks. The hooks weren't sturdy so some teachers used wash baskets for the book bags.

klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Cloak room
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We had these crazy spinning hooks, mounted under a shelf too high for kids to reach. The hooks had three prongs and spun. The concept was three kids could put jackets on a hook, and backpacks could go on shelf above.

In reality, the kids tried to hang their backpacks, and when there wasn’t anymore room, everything else, including jackets, got dumped on the floor.

Oh, and there was only “room” for 20.....we had 24 to 26 kids.

At my Catholic grammar school and high school, we had cloak rooms: large walk through closets for coats and lunch boxes and teacher supplies. And a sink. The kindergarten room even had a bathroom.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Keltikmom
Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
The kindergarten room even had a bathroom.
I believe that in California kindergarten classrooms must have a bathroom inside the room or adjacent to it.

Ruby tunes

No cloakroom
Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In any of the schools in my district located in one of the hottest areas of the country. Some students wear shorts year round.
I do remember cloakrooms in grades K, 1, and 2 when I attended school in NY.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't think I've seen an actual cloakroom since I, myself, was in elementary school.

In my previous job, they just had shelves with double hooks. It was not an adequate system for a place where kids need snowpants and boots four months of the year. There were always boots and mittens and such getting kicked to the middle of the hallway.

In my current part time job, they have hallway cubbies with 2 hooks. It's a much better system. They are big enough that even the bigger kids can easily fit their outerwear and back packs in them and there's a place for boots in the bottom and a shelf for mittens and hats and such. There's never a mess in the hallway.

I sometimes sub at a school where they have lockers. The littles (K-1) have them inside their classroom and the rest of the kids have them in the hallway. It's not a good system. They're not big enough to hold a coat, snowpants, boots and a bulky backpack. The littles usually just leave their locker doors open in winter so they can hang their snowpants on the door and put their boots in front. The bigger kids often leave their lockers open with stuff spilling out so there's always a mess in the hallway.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote