Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Developmentally Inappropriate?

>

Ms.Kristin

Ms.Kristin

Developmentally Inappropriate?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a Pre-K teacher. I found out on Friday that one of the children moving into our class from preschool has (and I am quoting from one of his current teachers) "the mentality of a 16 month old". He is non-verbal, shows very little comprehension when spoken to, has a short attention span and basically runs amok, grabbing & dumping all accessible materials in the classroom. I am highly concerned that Pre-K is not the right move for this child & that he would benefit more from staying in the preschool room. I am also concerned about how to meet his needs without taking away from the other children in the class.

What do you guys think? Is my director wrong in moving him up to Pre-K based solely on his age? Should I contest her decision or just make do with the situation? And if I simply must make do, does anyone have any advice or tips on how to manage a classroom with a child like this in it?

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I might not be the best person to respond, as I teach preschool sped with students like this every day and I strongly believe in inclusion. Research shows that students with disabilities strongly benefit from being around same aged peers.

With that being said, if you donít have any training in how to support him, my first step would be to talk with his family about what services he receives and what strategies they are using. If he is non-verbal, whatís his primary communication goal? Pictures, sign language, voice output from a tablet, etc.? Use his preferences to increase his attention span to activities. If he likes dinosaurs, bugs, etc., then have materials available that encourage him to sit and play. If heís just at a dumping and pouring out toys stage, have an area of the room or a bin of toys that heís allowed to dump and pour. Use visuals for everything. Create a set of visual cards for following directions, communication, activities to choose from, etc.