Help

High School

Foreign Language Teachers

>

Monsieursoto

Foreign Language Teachers
Old 08-09-2019, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any foreign language teachers out there?
I was wondering how much time do you spend reviewing what they learned the previous year. Example for Spanish 2 students, at the beginning do you review what they learned in Spanish 1 (for how long) or do you go straight to new content?

Monsieursoto is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm retired and didn't teach foreign language in my recent teaching assignments. However, like any cumulative subject, some review will be necessary. It simply isn't reasonable to expect people to remember everything they knew 3 months later.

If you try to save time by skipping reviews, you and the students will all be frustrated.

One thought would be to take the first day or two slow, with your speaking Spanish and expecting them to follow instructions, but perhaps now speak or write yet. Tune up those ears.

Then as you plan lessons, try to think what previous knowledge is required and include reminders and practice that will help students recall the vocabulary or the difference between ar and er verbs. Or whatever they will be needing that day.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Monsieur...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Fellow French teacher here (20+ years,) though not teaching anymore. I spent only a few days reviewing the previous year’s material, but recycled review into every new lesson I taught them. Word walls with important commonly-needed terms can be helpful for last year’s vocabulary —in addition to lots of use and recycling of vocabulary into current lessons wherever possible. Incorporate time-related terms — and verb vocabulary, of course! —into your passé composé lesson, for example. Or make a point to incorporate as much French 1 vocabulary as possible into your French 2 lesson on reflexive verbs. “Je me réveille dans ma chambre que je partage avec ma sœur. Je me lève de mon lit et me déshabille de mon pyjama. Je m’habille en pantalon et chemisier. Je marche dans la salle de bains, où je me lave la figure, et je me brosse les dents et les cheveux. Après ça, je descends à la cuisine et me prépare mon petit déjeuner —du pain grillé et confituré, des fraises et bleuets, et du thé au miel.”

Another thing I did for vocabulary review was to have weekly quizzes on old vocabulary every Friday for the first several months. I called them “Flashback Friday Quizzes.” In addition to whatever new material we were learning, I would “assign” one of the previous year’s vocabulary units (clothing, for example) and give them a photocopied list of the terms unless they still had the list from the year before. I didn’t spend any particular time working specifically with that unit’s vocabulary unless it worked well into the current material’s activities. But they were expected to review it on their own for the Friday quiz. it forced them to refamiliarize themselves with old vocabulary in less-intimidating, manageable chunks — inorder to refresh their memories, which then helped them have more vocabulary at their disposal for the current year, without sacrificing instructional time for the new material.

By the way, there is a Facebook group called French Teachers in the US. It is a wonderfully helpful community, with valuable resources for just about anything you may need.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

FL Teacher
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I review a little, maybe a week. Then I get into new material. However, I constantly spiral back. In Spanish III, for example, we are currently learning the Present Subjunctive. However, we are also doing biweekly conjugation quizzes over Present, Preterit, Imperfect, Future, and Conditional.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote