Reason why a job stays on Aesop for more than 5 minutes? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Reason why a job stays on Aesop for more than 5 minutes?

>

Sublime

Reason why a job stays on Aesop for more than 5 minutes?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

School starts next week. A job is already up for October at a school I work at frequently and it's been up for a day now. I won't take it because I know that grade is going to be very difficult this year, like "I'm going to cry before this day is over" difficult. But most subs won't know that so I wonder why it's still there. I occasionally see jobs up for more than a day and wonder if subs don't want that school, or that teacher in particular. For me, it's usually the school which causes me not to take it. Often, half days are up for a while. Any other reasons you won't touch a job on Aesop?

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sublime
I don't pick up for all the reasons you listed. Also won't pick up anything above Elementary because of some experiences with those grades. I stay away from certain sped jobs but will pick up others. I've thought of it too about jobs that stay on Aseop
Maybe subs have other assignments. I don't know especially if the subs are new and don't have any history at the school
elepen is online now   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I only sub at one school, but I certainly know which teachers to avoid and/or which classes to avoid because of certain kids.

We have a few schools in the county that often have a lot of jobs open. I suspect that new subs take a job there and discover for themselves why the rest of us won't go there.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some jobs actually stay up for weeks, while others are gone in seconds.

The reason why jobs stay up so long at my largest district is because there are usually so many jobs to choose from that subs know if they wait they will get a better offer.

There are also a couple schools that are known to have undisciplined students, and these schools are largely avoided.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub in a large district. Certain schools with a bad rep(bad school culture and lack of discipline) will have multiple jobs up and they wonít fill. Theyíll put up one or two week jobs and they get filled, and then a day later it will go up again because I assume the sub who took it refused to come back. These are places where the teachers will tell you first thing that subs never come back. Itís just not worth it and I donít bother with them.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At my regular schools I skip jobs for teachers I know have poor classroom management or donít leave plans. At other schools, bad neighborhoods where Iím scared to park my car on the street ( before you bash me Iíve had my car vandalized and we are not allowed to park in school parking lots). We also have schools that are notorious for bait and switch, and dumping extra students on subs when they are short (they pay regular teachers to take on extra students, not subs). Thatís why school starts on Thursday and jobs have been sitting for 2 weeks unfilled.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Flexibility is Key
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Some of it could be that people aren't checking before school actually starts.

Some could definitely be the reputation of the school/teacher/class year.

As for other reasons I've left jobs sitting - for most of my time subbing, I actually didn't like to book ahead. I had unpredictable responsibilities at home, so I decided each day whether to sub or not. I think that might be true for a lot of people.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

Sometimes it involves paperwork.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I put a job in a few days ago and was surprised that it wasnít picked up. I talked to the lady at our district office, and she said it is because subs are still completing required paperwork and training.
geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

My reasons
Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here are my reasons why I’ll pass on a job in Aesop.

1. It’s a half day. I don’t do half days unless I need to or there two half days the same day at the same school; too many problems otherwise.

2. It’s a subject that I don’t know well; music, foreign language, tech ed (shop class), FCS (home ec).

3. It’s at a school where I don’t want to go. One district refuses to allow subs to limit themselves to just elementary and/or middle school. So I pretend that I don’t see jobs at their high school.

4. Rudeness from adults at the school. I once walked into the teachers lunch room to find a teacher imitating me. I found out later she used to do it all the time.

5. The school is known for bait and switch; “yes I know you are assigned to teach Ms. Good’s second grade, we really need you to teach Mr. Bad’s 5th grade class.” Sub that they want to put into my assignment is already standing there, hmmm.

6. Known issues with teacher; poor quality lesson plans (curlz font, Disney workbook pages), missing lesson plans, having to search for materials (I’ve had the job for 2 weeks).

These are my top six reasons.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-15-2019, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with all of the reasons given so far.

Here's another one: When a job is posted several weeks or months in advance, it's often because the teacher has a workshop scheduled. I've accepted quite a few jobs like this, only to have them cancelled the night before. "Oh, we're sorry to cancel, but the workshop was postponed." I've been burned too many times, and won't take those one-day January jobs that are posted in October.

To Tapdancesub: Not allowed to park in a school's parking lot? That's terrible and inexcusable.
When I was a regular teacher I had my car vandalized a couple times (graffiti, stolen wheel covers), and that happened in the school lot. I don't blame you for avoiding those schools.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have already seen several jobs show up, starting back in July. But I was asked to do a full time long term gig starting the first day of the year, so I told them yes. It would be a nice way to pay off my summer debt on my credit cards. Hehe
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote