Help

Retired Teachers

I'm invited!

>

lisa53

I'm invited!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Over 35 years ago, I taught at a school in VT for 6 years. It was my first "real" full year teaching job in a US public school, so a formative experience for me. Then I moved 50 miles south to a larger district in NH, and lost touch with the folks at the first school.

When dh passed away, a couple of folks from the old school came to the wake. They had seen the notice in the paper and were coming to the "big town" for dinner, so they stopped by.

The other day I got a phone message inviting me to the "back to school breakfast" that the retired crowd from that school has. They sit on the front porch and wave as the school buses pass. It's going to be fun to see old friends!

I am going to organize a party for my retired friends here on our first day (a different day than the VT district). I need to start making calls...

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What fun for you to be able to attend twice! Have a grand time!

I worked in 2 school districts. I was in the last one for a long time, but Iíve (very happily!) moved 500 miles away so I donít attend their get-together on the 1st day of school. I enjoy seeing the party pics on FB.

My first job, only 9 years, was in a HUGE district (2nd largest in US) so no district get-together. But since moving back to Southern California, I have reconnected with old friends from that school. So much fun!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope you have a grand time. I think having breakfast and waving at the school buses on the first day of school are little perks of retirement.

Isnít it great reconnecting with some old friends? Unfortunately, I seem to reconnect with old friends at wakes/funerals. My former P passed away. She was so loved! Many attended the services.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

invitation
Old 08-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's so thoughtful of them. I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like fun!
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe I can wangle an invitation to the school district in the town where I live...the one my kids attended. I know a lot of retired teachers from here, and their first day is different from the VT district and from my old district. I bet that would set a record for celebrating the first day of school in multiple districts!

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Old 08-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is so sweet - both the fact that your former coworkers reconnected with you after so many years had passed, and your unique tradition of having breakfast and waving to the school buses.
Our tradition is for retired teachers to have lunch out at a restaurant on the first day of classes to celebrate the fact that we are not eating in the cafeteria with a table full of children. This year I missed attending, as it was the same day as my DD's military promotion ceremony, and there's no way I could miss that!
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

Old 08-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is so sweet! Enjoy your time with former coworkers! How fun to have breakfast and wave to the buses!!
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote