Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

First Day Criers

>

K4Tchr

K4Tchr

First Day Criers
Old 08-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am wondering if any veteran 4K teachers could share their wisdom on how to handle four-year-olds who cry on the first day(s) of school. I'm talking about the kind of crying in which they scream and cry to the point where the rest of the class can't hear over them. Last year (my first year), I had a child who cried very loudly for almost the entire first day (3 hours). I found it nearly impossible to teach anything to the rest of the class with the poor child crying inconsolably. He eventually got used to the school setting and was fine for the rest of the year, but I'm a little anxious that a scenario like this may happen again. I don't have a classroom aide and my room is very small, so there wouldn't be a place in my room where a screaming child would not be a major distraction to the rest of the class. What are the very best ways to calm a four-year-old with separation anxiety? What should I do if I can't calm the child?

calumetteach

this is what I did last year
Old 08-25-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The child had a stuffed animal to help them through the day. I also had my schedule up and divided morning and afternoon. As we finished each thing either I or the student took it off the board so they could see we were getting closer to the bus (going home!) icon.

I wish you the best.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Just visitin

Just visitin

Did the child have to stay all day?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would not have kept a distressed child so long. I don’t think it is fair to this child or the other children. Is there anyone who can support you for the first few days?
I would have the child come for a shorter period, either arrive with the rest and leave after an hour, gradually staying longer, or coming later and leaving with everyone else. The latter means the rest would be settled by the time this claims arrives.

If a child is distressed and I think they might settle more easily without parents present I ask parents to wait in the library or office area for half an hour or so. Have office staff come by and check with you - hopefully you can report to parents that all is well. If not, have the parent take the child home and try again tomorrow. This should not be see. As punishment. But as meeting the needs of the child. ‘ you came to visit today for a little while. Tomorrow we’ll come again.
K4Tchr

K4Tchr

Thanks
Old 08-26-2019, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is good advice. Thank you!
K4Tchr

K4Tchr

Thanks
Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice! I do have a picture schedule in my classroom and will utilize it.