Help

Retired Teachers

We are finally home!

>

wildflowerz

We are finally home!
Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After being gone for 2 months it is good to be home!

We did watch our granddaughter for two weeks and kept our expectations low. We took her to the movies which was nice. We also took her out to dinner and enjoyed that.

We were able to get her a backpack for back to school. She wanted a toddler Spider-Man backpack. Luckily, we couldn’t find one. We were able to convince her to get a red and black one which was more appropriate for a third grader.

I saw something she did for homework and noticed that she didn’t have the same stamina at the end of the assignment as she did at the beginning. Her handwriting started out neat and became worse by the end. She was still using approximate spelling and some words didn’t have vowels. I don’t think her mother realized that it wasn’t up to second grade standards and she is in third grade. I hope she has a strong teacher who can be frank with her parents.

Her parents are kind, caring, and well meaning but they were too wish washy for me. I’m not sure why they can’t tell her to wear deodorant, take a bath, clean her fingernails, or change her dirty clothes.

I stayed in my lane and didn’t say anything to her parents. I may have said too much to dh. I think she is being raised gender neutral. Maybe that is something that people in the future won’t blink an eye at but right now it is hard for us as grandparents to watch.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Welcome Home
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Two months is a long time to be away. I am glad you had some fun with your granddaughter. I hope she has an excellent third grade teacher who addresses her learning issues and he or she is able to convince the parents that she needs some help from home as well.

I would have a problem with her parents not training her to care for her own cleanliness as well. She is the age where you establish those habits in my humble opinion.

I am sorry the way she is being raised makes it hard to watch as a grandparent. I know that must break your heart.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hooray, you’re home! Good for you for taking care of your granddaughter under challenging circumstances. It sounds like you were terrific.

I try to keep grandma advice to a minimum—meaning when asked. However, like 1956, I could not abide ignoring cleanliness; to me that’s a health issue.

I hope that if you are asked to do duty again, you are able to consider what’s best for you and your husband before you commit.

Hooray, home.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Wonderful to get away..
Old 08-27-2019, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

still great to be home.

I know that as grandparents and especially as teachers it is very hard to not give advice or express our concerns about our grandchildren's academic and developmental progress. I just always reminded myself that I would only be helping if my advice would be appreciated and accepted. Otherwise, the only outcome would be for the parents to resent me.

As far as gender neutral, I don't think we need to wait for the future. Kids seem to dress rather gender neutral now. Lots of gray and navy clothes, t shirts and hoodies with jeans. I have seen racks in the some of the children's clothing stores especially at the shore, with t shirts, hoodies and board shorts,etc, just marked with sizes S-XL with no gender indicated. Some individuals will love the sparkly girly things but in our area, it seems to be..you be you.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Home
Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Welcome Home!!

How about if you send DGD a spiderman gift set with spiderman soap set, there are several on Amazon. Then, maybe she will enjoy bathing...maybe throw in some deodorant, a tooth brush, and a spiderman action figure.
https://www.amazon.com/Spiderman-Chi...s%2C181&sr=8-1

Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote