Substitute Teachers

Cruel HS Girls

>

BamaSub

BamaSub

Cruel HS Girls
Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im currently doing a maternity leave for High School English and I’m seriously at my breaking point with one class. There are 6 girls in there that are so cruel and hateful to me. Today they almost had me in tears from making fun of me. I managed to hold it together. I have 6 more days in this class and honestly don’t know what to do.

c6g

Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With students like the ones you're describing, there might not be much you can do to change their behaviors in the next six days. If the teacher you're subbing for posts on this site, I wouldn't be surprised if she pleads for help on one of these boards soon after her return.

Have you been documenting? The next time one of these darlings says something, don't respond. Look in her direction and start writing. She'll complain, but ignore her. She and the others will probably try to twist anything you say to use against you anyway. If you have support from administration, you can write a referral.

If you can't, continue to document everything and say very little to them. Simply say that you'll continue to document, and everything will be shared with administration and with the teacher when she returns. They have a choice: they can continue the insults, and you'll continue to document, or they can do their assignments-without the extra remarks-and you'll destroy your notes.

Last edited by c6g; 08-28-2019 at 06:44 PM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

yikes
Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Contact the principal immediately.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As c6g said, document everything.

Given that "the teacher stare" is no longer effective; students will complain that you are "creepy" documenting everything is a good way to protect yourself. Substitute teachers have all the duties and responsibilities of a regular teacher but none of the "rights" (due process and support from a union).

I like the idea of looking at them and writing down notes, it doesn't have to be about them only that they think it's about them. I've written down shopping and to-do lists while students thought I was writing about them. Be prepared to share your notes with the principal if requested, students like these like to have the upper hand and when they don't they will seek out others (students, parents, principals) in an attempt to win them to their side with the end result being the balance of power is tipped to their side.

You only have 6 days left in this assignment, then these girls will be someone else's problem. Hopefully the teacher will come back when they are scheduled and won't extend their leave.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

SubMan, you're right. Students like this will lie and do everything they can to tip the balance of power to their side. They'll look for anything they can use against you.

Please keep us posted.

MaineSub

Old 08-30-2019, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
With students like the ones you're describing, there might not be much you can do to change their behaviors in the next six days.
c6g is correct... and if my math is close, we're now down to four days. One suggestion I might make comes from a story a parent told me yesterday. Her son told the group that was "bullying" him, "Just so you know, what you think of me has no effect on me."

It worked.

(Obviously, her son had to back up his statement by his actions. But we too often forget that the best way to stop a bully is to remove the victim. Sometimes the victim can make it a do-it-yourself project.)

I do something similar with kids who don't do the work, homework, whatever. I tell them that it really has no effect on me. They are responsible for their performance, I'm only here to help if they want and need it. I will quickly add, however, that is a bit of a half-truth. I want them to do it, I'm disappointed when they don't, my responsibility includes creating an environment and providing the resources that will encourage it... but when all is said and done, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
BamaSub

BamaSub

Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well, I have an update. A couple of days ago after the ring leader said something particularly nasty to me, I just looked at her and said “You know, I know your mother and she’s a really nice lady”. Left it at that and walked away. They were complete angels to me today. Saying yes ma’am and no ma’am, asking good questions about the lesson. Of course I don’t really know her mother, never met her, but it worked!

c6g

Old 08-31-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good for you!

It reminds me of something I read years ago in Barb Pronin's A Handbook for Hassle-Free Subbing. I'm not sure if Barb personally did it, but she shared the story of a sub who once said, "Please tell your mom that I said hi!" to a difficult student. The sub didn't know his mom, but the student didn't know that--and it worked.