Help

Substitute Teachers

It's all who you know...a vent.

>

mommysubs

It's all who you know...a vent.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, last year I worked with a very young girl fresh out of school. Let's call her "Princess". Her daddy paid $100,000 worth of college so she didn't have to pay a dime. But if you'd ask her, it was nothing less than what she deserved. Anyhow, she was a sub just like myself last year.

Performance-wise Princess was horrible. Teachers complained that she never followed lesson plans. She let the kids under her supervision run rampant so someone else would have to pick up the slack. Even let them destroy property (throwing pencils at the wall to see if they would stick). The principal at the time reprimanded her for that and other juvenile things that she did. She also dressed very unprofessionally wearing outfits that revealed more than they should have in a public school setting. You'd think she was one of the students with how much she'd be on her phone during the day. She'd prop her legs up over the teachers' desks. Sometimes I'd relieve her for whatever reason and see her doing both of these things in a classroom or study hall.

So, to make a long story short, she was immediately accepted into this clicky group of teachers because she was young and liked gossip as much as they did. I was never invited to the clicksters' "secret lunches", but she was obviously welcomed right in. Turns out Princess also knew a young teacher at another school in the district. (They went to the same ballet classes.) Somehow Princess insisted that she was going to get herself into a position that was already filled in the district because SHE was the better fit. Yep, ok whatever. First of all Princess had failed all of her certification tests, so she had ZERO credentials to even have a position not to mention, said position was not available.

This year we have a new principal. (Last year's retired.) I find out upon returning this year that not only did Princess magically get the non-existent position, but the caring and hardworking teacher who was doing it had been dropped down to a lower spot, and Princess's ballet teacher buddy, who isn't even in the related subject area as her, was elected to be her "mentor". Man, I've smelled a lot of bs in my time but I think this is some pretty foul stuff. My final thought...I feel very sorry for 1. the teacher who was demoted on Princess's behalf, 2. Princess's future students, 3. our district tax payers, and 4. the parents of those students. -End Vent-

Last edited by mommysubs; 08-29-2019 at 06:48 PM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 08-30-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Youíre correct, itís often not what you know, but who you know. It may take some time, but sooner or later, Princess will be dethroned and taking a seat on the karma bus. You can only hope youíre there to witness her comeuppance.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mooba1,

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it wrong for me to indeed wish karma would make it's way around? Too bad I won't be there to see it. This incident, among other things, (not even bothering to consider my application for a teacher vacancy that opened up just a few days ago but hiring someone off the street and keeping me "down where I belong" because I'm a hard worker who doesn't complain) has pushed me to pursue another district. I worked as a teacher for the principal of this other district over the summer and she actually likes me and the way I run a classroom on my own, so I know my efforts will be appreciated and if a position were to arise I would actually be considered. As soon as the other district gives me the green light, I'm putting in my two weeks.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote