Help

The VENT

Depression and Student Connection

>

IcyPeppermint

Depression and Student Connection
Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has been bothering me for about two weeks and I have spoken to two close friends who don't have much to say about it, so I thought I would bring it here. I have always struggled with anxiety and depression but about a month before school started, I started having intense anxiety attacks that make me physically ill for days. For the past two weeks, I have been severely anxious and depressed and it is affecting my teaching. I am just not as lively as I used to be and I don't really have much of a connection with my students. I am so anxious that I lose track of what I am saying, have anxiety attacks in the middle of what I am saying, and overthink everything. I started off the year very strict after the year I had last year (I posted several times about a new district I was at last year). Although the behavior is down for my Pre-AP classes, I haven't connected with them because I have scared them with my strictness (which I think is a good thing). My other classes, I am more concerned with delivering the content and teaching them to behave (they are academically low and behavior problems). What really worries me is that I am no longer the favorite teacher; I am just a teacher. A teacher/parent was telling me how much her daughter loves the other 8th grade SS teacher because he is so animated and makes SS fun.

Has anyone dealt with depression and anxiety to the extremes before? My anxiety has really taken over.

PS. I am wondering if I am burnt out of teaching. Although I have always been grateful and loved my job, I said I would only give it about 5 years. I am in year 7 and I don't see any way I can leave financially.

IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since your anxiety and depression seem to be getting worse and interfering with your teaching, I would first go see my doctor. Maybe a change in meds or dosage would help.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I agree
Old 09-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that it is time to see your doctor. Sharing your symptoms can lead to finding a root cause and/or to alleviating them. We take a pill for annoying hay fever flooding our bodies with chemicals, why not for other chemicals whipsawing our bodies.

A question: is it necessary to be the favorite teacher every year? Is being a regular teacher so bad? Most of our colleagues are hard-working, concerned people working to deliver their best to their students. Is it so bad to be that sort of "average?"

Each year, as you well know, deliveres a different set of students and group dynamics which interact with the teacher's own situations. And thank goodness! Teaching the same year over and over would be deadly dull and mind numbing.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 09-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry that you are dealing with depression and anxiety. I recommend making an appointment with your doctor. You might benefit from going on a medication that will make you feel better.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Broomrider makes good points
Old 09-07-2019, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here are a few that I want to stress and repeat:

Yes, go to the doctor. Make the appointment.

You donít have to be their fave teacher to be a great teacher. Who knows maybe a few or even one student many years later will say you were his/her fave teacher! Just do your best!

5-7 years in teaching is not that long where I think it will mess up a pension. But do check with HR. All I am saying is check your options before you quit.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Yes
Old 09-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I could not teach if I wasnít on anxiety meds and didnít go to counseling. I have had to up meds or even switch when they stop working. I love my counselor too. I go on Fridays after school. She calls it my decompression time. I always leave feeling so much better. I teach 4th grade and the are sweethearts, so not sure about 8th. I have actually become the teacher parents want for their kids with anxiety. I get them and can see it in their faces.
Please go see your doctor and get to counseling!
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I find it so sad seriously
Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

that so many teachers have to take anxiety and depression meds to be able to do their jobs! It really makes me mad. Why do we ( as teachers) allow people to put us under so much pressure?
I am not in a pressure job this yr and very thankful, but I have spent some yrs in them...
After many yrs of teaching, I finally found a better way to deal w/ less stress. I do not agree to work overtime unless...I feel like it. ( Something I find fun....) I don't have a problem saying, " No! I have other plans!"
I think a lot of teachers also need to learn assertiveness skills ( not aggressive)Ö
.It cuts down on a lot of BS and misunderstandings. ( A big cause of stress)
So many schools have become really unhealthy places to work.
I feel for those of you who are at this point. If you have to take meds to do a job, I think you'd be better off finding less stressful work. Not judging any1, I do understand!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes
Old 09-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

And each time ended with resignation.

To say you cannot afford to find a health level you deserve is the depression talking.

You are reaching out, so you can get your happiness and health back. Feel comfortable in your own skin and enjoy being alive.

I suggest an immediate sick leave. Stress is a killer. Migraines could crop up. You can figure this out.

Yes, see your general practitioner immediately. Some of what you describe could be hormonal. Reveal all of your symptoms to your doctor.

People can see depression. We all relate to it in some way.

This is what worked for me.

Regular difficult exercise. I walk twice a week. Rise at 5am and walk with 2 neighbor friends for an hour. We walk up hills and quickly.

I play pool several times a week. Usually on my own.

I read. I grow plants. I foster sick kittens.

I adopted 2 kittens. Such JOY!

I am on a health kick, am professionally bleaching my teeth. I bought 2 expensive perfumes

I put lavendar oil on my wrists every night. Doterra

I am learning to play guitar - anyone can! So fun. I write songs to vent frustrations and joys

Listen to music and dance
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 09-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I strongly suggest that you schedule an appointment with your general physician and explain how you are feeling. He or she can prescribed a low dose anti-anxiety med that you may need to break out of the cycle you are in. I have been on a low dose of anxiety meds for a few years and wish I had the courage to discuss my anxiety when I was younger with a doctor. At times, I have been faced with life situations that have caused my anxiety to skyrocket - that along with my family history of anxiety and depression, I have found that meds are necessary. Unfortunately, I cannot change my genes.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote