Substitute Teachers

I'm back on aesop, but..

>

Johnnie5

Johnnie5

I'm back on aesop, but..
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I emailed the superintendent/sub lady and I was put back on Aesop soon after. I was told that they will monitor my availability to substitute. What do you think they mean by this?

Other questions
1. They could see when your currently logged into Aesop right?
2. Can the sub lady also see when and what times you logged into aesop?

This is a small district.

c6g

Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's good to hear you were put back on Aesop, but it sounds like this sub coordinator and school district are major micromanagers.

As far as I know, it is possible to see when a sub logs into Aesop. If a district wanted to, they could probably compile a list of every time a sub logs in, calls in, or hangs up on a call. In practice, though, I don't think this is very common. As long as a sub accepts jobs and works in a district somewhat regularly, everyone is happy.

It seems that your district is forgetting one of the main purposes of Aesop: matching sub jobs with subs who are comfortable accepting them. Few schools or teachers feel comfortable with someone who usually subs high school PE coming in to take a first grade class. High school chemistry teachers probably don't want someone who usually subs kindergarten. Regular teachers have their comfort zones, and subs do as well.

In many places there's a real sub shortage, and coordinators are desperate to fill every opening whether the sub feels comfortable or not. I still remember the time a number of years ago when I got a frantic call asking me to be a preschool aide for the afternoon. It was a weird day--I began that morning subbing in an alternative high school. That was the first and only time I agreed to a preschool assignment.

If you think you'll be able to put in 30 or more days this year in that district, I'd sub for them and ignore the silly warning. If you're not crazy about most of the schools and are very picky about the assignments you'll accept (I've been there), I'd drop them. You might also want to consider changing your Aesop setting so that they won't call you.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote