Substitute Teachers

What to wear as a Male Substitute?

>

subteacher94

What to wear as a Male Substitute?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone, first post here!

I was curious about what men wear to their assignments. My district dress policy that states: "Business Casual Dress Attire-- Button down shirts, nice pants (not distressed jeans), and dress shoes are recommended."

However, I have a few friends that sub for my same district and wear jeans and a button-up dress shirt tucked in with a nice belt and dress shoes. I also see that the High School teachers (in general) wear jeans, button-ups and nice shoes. The policy says not to wear ďdistressedĒ jeans, but is not clear on ďniceĒ jeans.

I have a nice pair of jeans, and plenty of nice long and short button up shirts. In your experience, do you think that would suffice? I was also thinking of wearing a nice sports coat with the jeans and dress shoes and dress shirt.

Itís hard because I live in the desert (it gets 105+ degrees) some days. Business casual is such a broad term (some sources say jeans are okay, and others say it is unacceptable).

I was just curious to see what other men wore to their assignments.

Thank you all so much

subteacher94 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

NOT a man but, Just my opinion,
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We (even in High School) only get to wear jeans of any kind on Fridays with a school spirit shirt.

I think business casual for men means at least Dockers style pants in any color. Even in the midwest, jeans are "Casual wear."

We do have some regular teachers and subs who wear polo style shirts rather than button-down shirts. Some male teachers who are also coaches get away with more casual clothing overall.

And in warm weather, for what it's worth, lightweight khakis are much cooler than jeans.

I think you should err on the side of caution at least to start with. Dress a little nicer to begin with. Go in and see what others are wearing. Pay attention to the day of the week, whatever else is happening and the position that person holds. Use these cues to dress accordingly.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Agree with pp
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not a guy, just my opinion...
Chinos of some sort.

Pre-teaching I was in the business world. A wise mentor said to "dress one level up to get noticed." I would not wear jeans to make a point of looking professional.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not a man, but I also agree w/ the pp, dress a bit more nicely to start. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. Definitely ditch the sport coat. Completely unnecessary, and it’s just way too hot for that here (Texas). I also think a nice polo shirt is fine w/ chinos. Teachers in my district can only wear jeans on Fridays with a school shirt.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wear a belt. I gained some weight last winter and my button came off my pants when I sat down. Luckily I had a belt on, or it would have been kind of embarrassing standing in front of the class.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Most of the male teachers and subs I see (here in CA) are very casual...jeans or casual slacks and short sleeved shirts. Only 2 male teachers I have ever seen wear slacks, long sleeved dress shirts, and a tie every day. As a female, I never wear jeans, though I'd love to, but I do see female teachers wearing jeans a lot of the time.

As others have said, I'd start out dressing a little nicer and then see what the teachers and subs are really wearing to school.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

What are jeans?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of the issues with dress codes is what the words mean--it could be argued yours doesn't ban jeans, but it tries to clarify that ragged ones with holes aren't appropriate. There are probably some "dress" jeans that would be considered okay.

Personally, I think subs should slightly "overdress." Some of our staff look ready to work in the garden--or just did. A sub needs to be careful they don't look like they just were grabbed off the street to fill in.

I tend to go with a long-sleeve dress shirt (sleeves rolled up when it's warm), cargo pants (dressy, pressed, not camo), and comfy shoes that are actually somewhat casual. (I like ankle-high hikers-type.) True dress shoes can be very slippery, not conducive to subbing elementary.

We have one high school teacher who always wears a suit and tie. I don't think I've ever seen him take his jacket off. He's a true character, the kids love him, and he's won some significant teaching awards. It could be said he ignores the dress code and gets away with it.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
And in warm weather, for what it's worth, lightweight khakis are much cooler than jeans.
Quote:
Definitely ditch the sport coat. Completely unnecessary, and itís just way too hot for that here (Texas).
I agree with both of these!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

While itís not fair, you are being held to a different standard than the other faculty there. As a student teacher, I totally resented having to wear a button down shirt in hot weather in a school with no AC while while other teachers wore t shirts, shorts and even sandals but thatís the game.

I donít wear dress shoes though, I always wear tennis shoes. Iím on my feet all day, so Iím going to wear something comfortable.

I saw a fellow sub wearing a Dolphins nfl jersey once and I thought she looked ridiculous. Just feel it out like others have said.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

About the jacket
Old 09-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Female here: I take a light jacket when I sub because some schools crank up the air conditioning and I freeze. Some schools save on heating during the colder months, so I'm cold again in the classroom. Sometimes the jacket stays on the back of the teacher chair, sometimes it's on me depending on the weather and the state of the heating/air conditioning at the school.

A heavier jacket in the winter is good because sometimes you get unexpected yard duty as in "I'll give the sub your outdoor duty in the afternoon and you'll owe me a break later."

Do NOT take much money or valuables like ID into schools. Things can disappear. A wallet in your pocket is likely safe. I leave my purse in the car and carry a small bag on a string with lunch money, driver's license (if required to get in the door), and my phone; no credit cards, etc.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When I started teaching back in the late 70s, I'd wear a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes just about every day. Things have become a bit more casual, but I still try to look professional. That means nicer pants (no jeans), button-up or polo shirts, and nicer shoes. I used to avoid gym shoes, but occasionally wear dark ones now because of issues with my feet.

One of my big pet peeves with many schools--I'll arrive with the business casual look, and they'll say, "We're going to switch you to PE today," or "Sorry that we didn't let you know, but you'll be outdoors for field day." A few years ago, I was really steamed when a middle school classroom job was switched without warning to outdoors all afternoon with PE classes.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote