Help

Physical Education

Middle School Girls in PE

>

MMadness

Middle School Girls in PE
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I need some suggestions to get my middle school girls moving. I was hired on 5 weeks ago and am taking over the PE position that has been occupied by a sub for the last month and half. We are ending our 3rd quarter as of tomorrow and will be going on spring break. I hope to get some stuff ready over break so my last 9 weeks before summer break runs smoothly.

I'm more concerned with my 8th grade girls then any others. I have boys and girls, but because of my girls' attitudes and lack of cooperation and respect my co-PE teacher takes the boys while I keep the girls. We decided to do this in hopes that they would be less self-conscious to participate. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I have already made calls home and the parents are pretty supportive; however, naturally the girls increase their attitude because of this.

I plan on going over expectations again and maybe doing some team activities when we get back, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to motivate these girls and would help them realize they won't be any less "cool" for cooperating lol. Thanks!

MMadness is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just came across this, as I have been subbing PE lately, and thought I'd try this section of the board for back-up games, etc. I'm so sorry no one was able to answer your post at the time! How did it go? What did you come up with?

If you are still looking for next year, what about some "Minute to Win It" type activities, to break the ice and get them "playing" again? You could come up with a few challenges at first that are lightly physical, but wouldn't require sweating or mess up their hair, then increase the activity level as their competive sides start to emerge.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

tbone222

Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not sure if any other public school does this, but my middle school separates into boys/girls PE. When I first started this assignment, I was unsure... Knew I would miss the boys, thought it was illegal even! etc.

Interestingly, I am somewhat of an advocate now...

These 6th 7th and 8th grade girls become LEADERS, they excel in ways I have never seen! Last year I had one all boys 7th grade class... again, I loved it.
tbone222 is offline   Reply With Quote