Help

Sunflower Room

WES Book Study Chapter 5

>

luvkidzks

WES Book Study Chapter 5
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay--I'm a bit behind! I almost didn't get this posted today since it was 11 p.m. when I realized that it was Friday....my past week has been a blur! We had barely begun our vacation in Indiana when my son called and said he and his wife were heading to the hospital to have their baby--16 days early! So we threw our stuff back into the car and left for Olathe, Kansas to meet our first grandson Brody James. We just got back to McPherson tonight and to be honest I don't know where my book is yet! So long story short I'll be posting late this week!

cathybev

Congrats
Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on becoming a grandmother. I became a first time grandmother on July 8, to my grandson, Noah. Being a grandmother is the best!

harpo4

Ch 5
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really, really liked Strategy #19: Prompt less and, when you do, prompt toward integration! The key that students are more successful when we teach from what is within their realm of control. This sounds basic, but I think its sometimes too easy to push kids up w/ the group when their not ready. I appreciated the comments about self-correction behavior. I'm still trying to think of ways to increase my kiddos opportunities to engage w/ connected text??? HELP?

TODinKS

Ch. 5
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of teaching students to cross-check their thinking as they read. The question "How can you check using different information?" seems very easy to use (if I remember), but the "How do you know?" question will be much more difficult for struggling readers. Good charts for future reference though! I also agree that less prompting is important so that students don't habituate that. I am undecided about how the "uh-oh/you did it!" game would work. You would have to start with very familiar texts so that students are successful at the beginning. I am curious to hear what the classroom teachers think. Would that have to be something that support staff do due to time constraints?

luvkidzks

Chapter 5 Response
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Must remember--prompt less, prompt less, prompt differently! I've realized that maybe the reason many of my students never become independent using strategies is because I don't encourage independence enough--prompt less, prompt differently! Love the phrase--"what can you try?" Table 12 on page 88 has great ideas for changing the way I prompt because I can say most assuredly that I was on the left side with prompts that create dependence. Oops! Love what they had to say about self correction--even though it isn't an error it's definitely an indicator of fluency....also the part about breaking inefficient reading habits had me yelling out a couple of my students' names from last year! I think the uh-oh, you did it may have potential to help one of my kiddos (2nd grade teachers I'll let you know who). I like the way the authors addressed the need for massive practice and ideas for achieving more of that in our busy classrooms! I'm really getting a lot out of this book! =-)

Ms. mel

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"How do you know?" question will be much more difficult for struggling readers.

Only ask that question when you know that they know the answer.

Ms. mel

Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Jan and I are thrilled at the WES group's comments and questions. You all rock!!!

luvkidzks

So Excited!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ms. Mel--we are so thrilled that you have gone through our posts and have responded to some of our questions/thoughts! Thanks so much! It really adds an extra level of depth to our study! Dawn

crb1

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess I shouldn't feel I'm doing something wrong if I read a level lower! I just felt kind of guilty about it. As I read more, I feel better about what I do. After reading some of the "strategies" I'm also thinking that this will be easier to do if I'm just reading with my class- I'll have more flexibility with my groups.

Ms. mel

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been missing talking shop and so I appreciate the opportunity and hope that my comments will be beneficial. I'm assuming you all will discuss chapter 6 when you meet at your house. Wish I could be there. If you have a question that I might be able to help with, post it as Chapter 6 and I'll attempt a reply.

Good luck to all of you as your new school year approaches.

funrunner

Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I really liked the ideas about prompts that deepen student thinking. As I anticipate my year, I don't yet understand how all of this will look in a Kindergarten room. I think that students will need direct instruction regarding strategies as they build their 'tool kit' for reading, however, I recognize that even early readers need to see reading as a complex process. I think I will learn as I go and come back to the ideas in the book as I gain experience. I do want to be sure that I help my students gain independence by providing less specific prompts as they are ready. I appreciate the advice to only ask 'how did you know?' if we know they probably can answer this. I do think that it is crucial to teach students to reflect on thinking that was successful and not just to focus on the times when their thinking is incorrect. I am learning so much from this book and look forward to discussing it next week.