Help

Sunflower Room

Weekly Book Bags

>

aboes

Weekly Book Bags
Old 08-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I like the idea from "Growing Readers" to give weekly book bags for readers so they gain fluency and comprehension from reading. I'm going to explain parents that their child should be reading with prosody and emotion. I want to explain that stammering over every 10 words and then saying they "read" the book to move on to the next one isn't the idea. How would I respond to someone saying, "My child isn't really reading. She's just memorizing all those books over the course of a week." With a weekly book bag of about 8-10 books for an emerging, very beginning reader, I wouldn't think they could memorize them all, but as far as the sight words are concerned, wouldn't that help them as well?

mls

Note
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here is a note that I sens home the first time the book bag goes home. I may adjust it for this year, but the idea will be the same. It explains some concerns that parents have. I was getting a lot of "this is too easy" before I sent this home. It helped clarify "word calling" and comprehension.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Take Home Books letter.doc (26.5 KB, 316 views)

aboes

Thank you so much!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. That is exactly what I wanted to let them know, but wasn't sure how.