Help

Bluebonnet Room

phonograms

>

superocious

phonograms
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!! I am interested in learning how to teach reading by using phonograms. Has anyone worked with them?. I have been searching for some information but is not enough. I have a question, how do you explain to the students that some phonograms have 2 o more sounds and how to identify them when reading?.

2can2

phonograms
Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You use the most frequent one in the English language first, example OO like in book is more common and then you let them practice words with the sound. Next you introduce the second sound oo like in moon and practice it. Then you review and used both word list with both sounds and let the children listen to discriminate sound, classify, etc with the word list.
Same is done with ou, and ow, au and aw, and the rest of phonograms.
abcread

abcread

Orton Gillingham
Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Instruction for teaching phonograms can be found by reading The Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding, Spell to Write and Read by Wanda Sanseri, or The Logic of English by Denise Eide. Denise Eide has a ton of excellent information about reading on her website.

omito3

omito3

Phonograms
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Visit WordyWormReading.com to see a fun and effective way to teach the phonograms. The phonograms are taught using songs, gestures, and objects thereby teaching to the various learning styles. The program has been developed to give families the knowledge, resources, and confidence to lay a foundation for reading. Teachers too use the program

MrsBea

more on phonograms
Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The students learn that they have more than one sound by repeating the phonograms and their sounds on a regular basis. I made myself some extra large flashcards using old manilla file folders that I cut open and trimmed the tabs off.
You can teach that the first sound of the phonogram is the sound that is used most often. If that sound doesn't make a word that sounds familiar, then they should try the second sound.
To me, this is the only logical way to teach phonics.