Frustrated with finding my students reading levels using DIBELS - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Bluebonnet Room

Frustrated with finding my students reading levels using DIBELS

>

IRockURead

Frustrated with finding my students reading levels using DIBELS
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school uses DIBELS for reading assessments. I am looking for a way to determine my students reading levels according Fountas & Pinells A-Z levels.

I found a conversion chart on DIBEL's website that converts DIBELS ORF scores to Lexile levels, then I look at another chart that converts lexile to grade level and Fountas and Pinnells guided reading levels.

I found this method to be frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could determine my students reading levels?

spedkidsrock

Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think you can just take a words per minute score and find an equivalent guided reading level. If you search for " reading level comparison chart " and use one of the top pdf links that appear. It will give you a chart to compare many of the leveling systems out there.

sevenplus

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree. I don't see how you could get a reading level based on reading fluency tests. I've not done the ORF, but unless it includes accuracy and comprehension, it doesn't make sense to me.

I think the most accurate way to get a reading level is to do a running record and ask comprehension questions.

readingwhiz

finding reading level
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you don't have access to Fountas and Pinnell's Benchmark Assessment kit, or Reading A-Z (which requires a subscription), you can do it with leveled books. Many books have now been assigned guided reading levels. There are various websites that list some of them, but the most comprehensive I've found is bookwizard.scholastic.com. You can search by title or by level. Just take one of those books and do a running record, calculating the percentage of words read correctly. In general, the independent level is considered 95-100 percent accuracy, and instructional level is 90-94 percent accuracy. But check to make sure that the child understands the book at that level also.

jcflies

Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You CAN look at their lexile level and convert it to F& P guided and independent reading levels but, even then, you'll still have to assess the child on your own--just to fine tune...