Help

Bluebonnet Room

sight words

>

gidge

sight words
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering what various schools are using for sight word lists, and also at what grade levels. There is some controversy in my building, and I'm looking for current practices as well as any research that would clear up the confusion. Thanks in advance!

titlebabe

We are also
Old 04-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

considering changing our sight word lists for each grade level. Presently, in kindergarten, we expect 25 words to be mastered, 116 in first grade, 200 some in 2nd, etc. We are contemplating increasing the numbers at all levels and are also curious about the expectations in other schools/areas. Thanks for sharing.

RTIisfun

Sight Words
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school typically uses the Dolch words because many of them do not follow typical phonics rules, so they can not be sounded out - kids have to learn them by sight. One good thing about using the Dolch list is that there are numerous online sites that provide high-quality activities for teaching/using the words. The kindergarten and first graders try to learn all of "their" lists as well as number words 0-20 and many color words. We also have a list of "school" words for older children. I would look into the National Reading Panel's recommendations for teaching phonics, too. They have based their findings on research.

kster

Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use Seeing Stars - K starts with sight words from reading series (all are in the list, just out of order from the Seeing Stars list). K benchmark is 20 words, 1st is 200, and 2nd is 400...I think 3rd is 600 but am not sure off the top of my head