Help

Art Teachers

Newish Art Teacher! HELP!

>

artteacher101

Newish Art Teacher! HELP!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After quite a bit of time in a core class I am back in the art room. This however is my first elementary year (PK-4th) and a new district. I have never been so excited. I actually like my job again after years of dreading going to work. I feel at home.

My first observation happened and I got feedback, nothing horrible, but just some constructive criticism.

I am really struggling with is this whole idea of a full circle lesson in the art room. My principal stated that she expects that there be an intro, a lesson and an activity. Okay I am with her so far. However she wants "closure" at the end of every session I have kids meaning she wants an exit ticket, summary etc every time I see them! I only see them for 55 minutes every 3 days. 55 minutes blows by, especially on a day where you are painting etc. I just don't know how to fit all that in AND have an project that is more time intensive with process or clean up.

Also some things just take multiple days. Like paper mache. So if I do a project like that, she is still expecting me to do a lesson every time and take up 15-20 minutes each time I see the kids doing a formal lesson. When I taught art before we might have a lesson the first day, begin working on a project and then have to take another class or two to finish something depending on the process. The process is a huge part of learning. Then we would do a summary activity like a gallery walk, writing a self critique etc. is this not a thing anymore?

I am feeling defeated. Having been out of specials so long I really did a lot of prep and PD to get back into the swing of things. Now I am feeling like I can only make art with these kids that can be completed in less than 55 minutes.

How do ya'll make this work?

artteacher101 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps each step in a process can be considered a lesson? I doubt a mathematics teacher can teach long division from scratch in 55 minutes.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

RedRabbit

Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I remember when I was student teaching to become an art teacher this same problem came up. My mentors would just shrug off closure, saying there just too little time for it.

Since I would be graded on a full lesson plan during observation on about 45 mins, I had to think up a solution. This worked very well for elementary, not so much during my high school run.

When the kids were lined up waiting for their teacher to pick them up from the classroom at that time I would ask my closure question. After giving a few rules we needed to be quite to listen, I would walk down the line letting the kids shout their answers.

I just did simple easy to answer questions, for example.
What animal did you chose for your artwork?
What your favorite type of media?
What art tool do you like using?
Do you like sketching or writing notes?

I am still trying to find a classroom to teach art. Right now I am just a sub in the mean time.
RedRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Full Circle Art Lesson
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks to the OP for posting this and to those who replied. I expect to be an art teacher this coming year and was wondering this same thing. I will probably be PMing some of you. I went to this school last year to be the COMPUTER teacher. That went well, but there is a push for art, music, and gym now. Since I like my school (and they liked me -- well, as a computer teacher they liked me), I am coming to PT to learn all that I can to make this work.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

end of lesson
Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do visual art as a substitute, my classes 5-8 a day, when I teach are 35 minutes. And as you do, I have an intro, material distribution,, instruction, art making and clean up.
The clean up and closure is always the last 7 minutes, where I can hold a couple of drawings up and perhaps the class can share what they appreciate about the work or what they might do different.

Even if the class did not finish the project, I explain the process we completed and where we start next time. (Or rather where, they, are going to start.)

We have done the gallery walk and partner share/compare - it seems it works out better with experience, as the year goes, if they are used to the process.

Art is the journey.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote